News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE stick

Started by NorthernElectric, May 17, 2015, 07:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

Here is the photo I forgot to post yesterday evening along with the relevant portion of the post it was supposed to accompany:

Quote from: NorthernElectric on May 19, 2015, 07:56:49 PMI stated in an earlier post that this phone only has 2 hookswitch contacts.  I was correct about that; there are only 2 spring contacts.  What I hadn't noticed before is that the 3rd contact is a pointy screw bolted to the inner plate.  The photo doesn't show the point very well, but you can clearly see the nut that holds it.  I tested this with a meter just now and it is connected to terminal #2 on the terminal block and makes with the center contact when the phone is on hook.
Cliff

Ktownphoneco

Cliff   ...   Got it, thanks.   Interesting.    I've not seen that sort of hook switch arrangement before (with the pin acting as the 3rd spring).   

Jeff

Jack Ryan

The frame mounted third contact is typical (in my sampling) of AE Step candlesticks. The frame mounted contact is insulated from the frame so it is equivalent to having three springs. The switch is configured as a changeover and typically switches the ringer out when off hook in both the series and booster circuits.

Jack

NorthernElectric

I got the dial working today, at least mechanically.  I suspected that it was just gummed up with dirt, especially inside the governor.  So I pulled it out of the phone and sprayed it with brake cleaner.  That got it freed up.  I lubricated the gears and bearing points as best I could without dismantling it.  It seems to be turning about the right speed, and visually the contacts seem to be working.  I won't be able to test it until I get a receiver cord and a subset rigged up for it.  I have a few phones waiting for cords now, so I will probably be putting a cord order together pretty soon.
Cliff