News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

20AL Restoration Advice Needed

Started by savageje, May 30, 2015, 01:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savageje

I have a WE 20AL that my wife wants me to fix up for a cousin of hers as a birthday present.  My only instructions are "they want to be able to talk on it," but she would like it to look as good as possible.  I took it apart yesterday the transmitter and receiver parts are all intact.  The receiver diaphragm has a nasty bend in it and will need to be replaced.  The original cloth cords are in really bad shape and will have to be replaced as well.  A previous owner repainted black over the original japanned finish.  Paint job looks like a rattle-can special with lots of nasty drips and overspray.   Anyway, a couple of questions/advice:

What is the best/easiest way to strip off the spray paint and get back to a consistent, decent-looking finish?

What is the best place to source a decent sidetone subset?  (I am thinking a 534 would do nicely.)  I don't want to overpay for it.  Time is also somewhat of an issue, so I am reluctant to roll the dice on eBay.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.

HarrySmith

The spray paint should come off without harming the finish underneath. I would try Easy-Off oven cleaner or Citri-Strip paint stripper. The Japanning finish is tough. Someone here will probably have a subset for you, I do not have any at this time. Good Luck with your restoration.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Since it is intended that it be used as a novelty telephone and an authentic restoration is not being planned, I suggest the transmitter and receiver be replaced with newer elements from AECo or WECo telephones. Instead of an external sidetone subset, a mini-network (AST) installed in the base may be just the ticket.