News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Photo From the 70s

Started by DavePEI, February 01, 2014, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

I came across an old photo of myself that was too funny not to post. It is of myself in 1977 or 1978, about the time I worked with a contractor installing an AE step exchange in the local high school. I had been in Toronto for a while, but wanted to be back in Brockville - I lucked into the job. GTE/AE on Strowger Blvd. had donated a Strowger exchange brought back from Venezuela on a trade-in program - they donated it and a large number of AE 80s and 90s to the school, and Phillips electrical Works had donated the wire for the job. It took about a month and a half for our two man team to completely re-wire the school's system.

Previous to this, the entire school was one huge party line system of 211s and 302s. After we finished, each classroom could dial directly and could call other rooms directly. There were about 100 lines if I remember correctly.

It would be the only time I worked directly in Telecom, but between this experience and Automatic Electric being in town as I grew up, this formed much of the basis of my interest today.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001