News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1 part American, 1 part GPO - Identification anyone?

Started by FABphones, April 12, 2018, 08:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This up on fleabay eBay UK, anyone know what it is? American dial phone, GPO (crank?) with it. Listing says speaker.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Old-Retro-Bakelite-Wall-Mounted-Telephone-Twin-Bell-With-Speaker/232729308216

?hash=item362fbf6c38:g:HuMAAOSwmINax9Oj

8 watchers at the time of writing this. Undecided re bidding for this one, wood not normally my thing but it's cute and it's got a chunk of my beloved Bakelite with it....   

....and to help me recognise a 'pony' (another thread) is this a pony phone (I have a lot to learn, a new area for me, but if I don't ask questions I'll learn less).

Thanks for any info on this.

=======================

EDITS:  1) Image and eBay screen capture added for the member for forum posterity and to make sense of this topic -- eBay links die a few months after an auction of this dollar amount ends; 2) eBay link above shortened for the member to prevent long link issues sometimes noted in SMF software
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on April 12, 2018, 08:55:25 AM
I know who one of those watchers is - me!
:)

Come on then, you know what it is... spill!   :) ;)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

It's a Northern Electric.
If you Google 'Northern Electric' and the model number from the photo of the rear you'll find it (I can't get to eBay right now).

poplar1

Northern Electric N393G. Anti-sidetone set, probably converted from a N293G. The US version was metal and coded 653A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tubaman

Quote from: poplar1 on April 12, 2018, 10:01:06 AM
Northern Electric N293G. Anti-sidetone set, probably converted from a N293G. The US version was metal and coded 653A.
You're spot-on - the seller has now added photos of the insides (at my request) which show the re-marking.

wds

The dial alone is worth the asking price.  I wish it wasn't so far away!
Dave

Owain

It's quite a nice handy magneto generator to have as well.