News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

What's wrong with this picture? Normal Great Lakes lake effect snow bands (Benton Harbor, Traverse City, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc, which is normal for this time of year and northwest winds. What's that blue stuff from SC, NC and VA?

Anyone get good pictures from down there? This has to be a very rare event for that area.

jsowers

It didn't hit Piedmont NC much at all, just points east, as the radar shows. Yes, many places who almost never get snow are covered with it now. Charleston, SC was pretty much closed down this afternoon with a layer of ice with about three inches of snow on top of it. They had the first measurable snowfall in Tallahassee, FL in 28 years. Norfolk, VA is getting it now.

The Weather Channel has been covering this storm non-stop. The storm resembles a category 3 hurricane but with snow and ice, according to one of our local forecasters. It has a rotation to it. It's on its way to New York and New England. A lot of it is off-shore now and just rain, but it could come farther onto land and cause lots of snowfall up north and have wind gusts too, like a blizzard.
Jonathan

Pourme

My sister lives in Holden Beach, NC 30 feet from the water on the inlet. I spoke with her last night and she had snow falling in her yard and in the water. This is a first in a very long time that has occurred.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

twocvbloke

Pourme

Just as I finished my previous post Sis sent me this picture of Holden Beach NC taken just minutes ago.
Benny

19and41

The news said the storm is responsible for 3 lives lost in traffic accidents.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

The cold front reached South Florida! It was 41 degrees F in Coral Springs this morning! There is snow in North Florida. I heard on the news this morning that it was warmer in Alaska than it was in Florida!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Alarmism run amuck thanks to social media, however, they who do this may have overplayed their fear-mongering hand with this one.

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 04, 2018, 09:47:46 AM
Apparently there's a "weather bomb" hitting the US & Canada:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42544605

I'm skeptical . . . 

Quote from: 19and41 on January 04, 2018, 01:14:38 PM
The news said the storm is responsible for 3 lives lost in traffic accidents.

I'm really skeptical . . . 

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 04, 2018, 01:22:07 PM
The cold front reached South Florida! It was 41 degrees F in Coral Springs this morning! There is snow in North Florida. I heard on the news this morning that it was warmer in Alaska than it was in Florida!

Harry, yes, don't see a snow cover map like this that often but I'm sure it will melt a lot faster down there than up here . . .  There's more snow in Georgia and South Carolina than there is in the southern Rocky Mountains, the ski resort areas.

Pourme

Benny

AE_Collector

Exact same temp, 5C/41F here in Vancouver. Think I'll head North to Alaska to warm up.

But you will be back to normal in a day or two and your weather forecast for the week won't look like this!

Terry

HarrySmith

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 04, 2018, 05:48:47 PM
Exact same temp, 5C/41F here in Vancouver. Think I’ll head North to Alaska to warm up.

But you will be back to normal in a day or two and your weather forecast for the week won’t look like this!

Terry

Yeah, we are supposed to be back to 70 & 80 degree weather next week. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on January 04, 2018, 05:47:47 PM
In NC

http://wavy.com/2018/01/04/nc-gov-3-deaths-blamed-on-snow-storm/

Weather events do not kill people. Personal responsibility, life experiences, proper equipment, having a high respect for the situation and sometimes a bit of good luck keeps people safe and alive in weather conditions. It's just not right to blame any weather event for a death. Every person has a choice, many choices at any point in time, and choosing wisely is always the best bet for staying alive. Not a guarantee but it raised the odds significantly. Speed, poor tires, following too close, not being highly aware of all nearby vehicles movements and lack of experienced driving in snow were most likely the cause, not the weather. Accidents are just that, accidents, regardless of choices made and not being poorly prepared to handle a situation only increases the chance of an accident, some of which are fatal. It's life and in life, stuff happens.

It's irresponsible for the Governor or anyone else to blame a snow storm on a death. Did he do that becasue his state did not have the equipment to plow, sand and salt the roads? Yeah, probably. But why would NC spend the money on that equipment when it shows but once every 20 years. The governor should have led with the facts and not passed the buck on a weather event. Just saying . . .

Pourme

Benny

WEBellSystemChristian

Man, I would KILL for a 41 degree day here! I don't think it's gotten above freezing since November up here, and it hasn't been anywhere near freezing point (32°F) in weeks, hovering right around 0°F. It's been -7° most early mornings.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford