News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell / Western Electric - "Mod 1 Picturephone"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

11 Digit Strowgers are worth something so it stands to reason that an 11 button Picturephones should at least be worth more than a 12 button even if not what a 10 button is worth! Why the 16 Button Autovons are worth so much is beyond me though!

Terry

MagicMo

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 04, 2013, 12:05:59 AM
Mo, we all look forward to being "stuck" with you.

Awww, thank you. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much today. Gotta give them a rest.
Thanks Again everyone!
Goodnight,
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 03, 2013, 08:43:16 PM
If that happens, you may want to open "your museum" up for him to look around at some more potential finds for his museum.

Terry

I was thinking the same thing. Considering I have a lot of the testing equipment needed for the Picturephone. I have that oscillator thingy and a couple other thingy's that are written in the documentation. Will they need that stuff?
Mo

MagicMo

Quote from: Russ Kirk on January 31, 2013, 05:44:11 PM
From page 29 of the attached document.
Maureen,
Did your Dad work or live in any of these locations?

Yes, Chicago

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on February 04, 2013, 12:32:26 AM
Quote from: AE_Collector on February 03, 2013, 08:43:16 PM
If that happens, you may want to open "your museum" up for him to look around at some more potential finds for his museum.

Terry

I was thinking the same thing. Considering I have a lot of the testing equipment needed for the Picturephone. I have that oscillator thingy and a couple other thingy's that are written in the documentation. Will they need that stuff?
Mo
Hi Maureen:

Only John can answer that. Most of the equipment needed would be fairly standard TV test equipment, but John might be interested.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

Even if they don't "need" it, it would be good to keep it together, if possible.

Your father had the knowledge to preserve groupings of related items that are rarely found together.  Collectors today have to work hard to even realize the existence of some of the items, let alone find them.  The Bellboys and mobile phones are probably in that category as well.  Who knows what other interesting projects are yet to be discovered.  It will be an interesting process.

And, looking at the rest of your collection, hopefully you can infect some of your friends and family and convert them to phone collectors as well.

The more the merrier!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

DavePEI

Hi All:

You know, I was thinking this morning. I wish we all could have had the opportunity to know Maureen's father. He sounds like he was a wonderful man, and he certainly brought his daughter up well. Oh, the things he could have taught us all if he had been a member of the forum.

It is too bad that somehow he couldn't be made an honorary member of the forum - his gift to Maureen has fascinated so many of us. Even though we can never really know him, he has touched our lives through Maureen's collection.

I don''t know if it may be too painful to talk about, Maureen, but we would love to learn more about him, stories, little recollections, anything at all which would help us come a little closer to knowing him. I know you miss him, and that love will never go away.

So, if you ever do feel like sharing stories of him, please do. I am sure there is a very special place where old telephone men go, and that yesterday's happenings would have made him very happy and proud of you!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

MagicMo

Thanks Dave!
Karol B. Born in 1933.
He passed away on Sunday, July 22, 2012 after a difficult battle with lung cancer (never smoked). He was a proud Navy Vet aboard the USS Coral Sea (Korean War). Member of the Pioneers, Holy Name Society and Polish American Society. Proud retiree from IL Bell/AT&T after 40 years. Avid telephone collector.
He was an old timer who believed in hard work, treating people right and going to church every week made you successful. Calling in sick was for babies, he never missed a day.
He always wore a baseball cap.
He never threw anything away, something always had a use. "See that piece of wood there? All it needs is four legs and a back and that could be a good chair!" He loved to tinker with things like radios, phones and clocks. He could fix anyone's car and he drove every 'lil old lady in the neighborhood to the grocery.
Before working at IL Bell he started his own business briefly fixing TV's but was unable to get it off the ground because he wouldn't charge anyone, he felt sorry for them. Thank God for IL Bell.
His body gave out before his mind did. He died in our home, I kidnapped him away from his home when I found out he wasn't eating and driving himself to kemo, he was too proud to ask for help. That was the kind of guy he was. The old saying "they don't make 'em like they used to" applies to him.
Thanks for listening.
Maureen

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on February 04, 2013, 07:35:46 PM
His body gave out before his mind did. He died in our home, I kidnapped him away from his home when I found out he wasn't eating and driving himself to kemo, he was too proud to ask for help. That was the kind of guy he was. The old saying "they don't make 'em like they used to" applies to him.
Thanks for listening.
Maureen

Hi Maureen:

He sounds like the most wonderful man. I almost deleted my message in case it might be too hard for you to write about him, but then thought it might even help you and in a way would memorialize him.

It sounds like a good old fashioned upbringing, and I can just imagine the conversations in the kitchen shown in your photos.

It will be hard, but you will always have your memories.

I know what it is like losing your parents - in the past 4 years, I lost both my mother and father, and there are times where it is still hard. In 2004, both moved into a local nursing home. My mother also died of a cancer  and had a long drawn out illness before she died. It was so hard seeing her gradually fading away. Towards the end, Mom and Dad became even closer than ever to each other. Dad suffered from some dementia toward the end. As I drove Dad to Mom's funeral, he looked at me, and asked again, "Who's funeral are we going to?"

Then, two years later, we got an early morning call from the home telling us he had passed away in his sleep.

It was hard, and I still very occasionally wake up and dozily think, "I must go over to Mom and Dad's for coffee!", only to wake up the rest of the way and back to reality.

So, I do understand what you are going through, but think your father sounds like a remarkable man! Thank you for sharing a little about him with us.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Has everyone caught their breath yet? Over 24 hours now without a word here!

I just merged the "Picturephone goes onto ebaY tonight" thread into the original "Picturephone" thread just to keep things together in one place. Well sort of in one place, there is an awful lot of chatter in "Auction Contest #83" about it as well but that is okay.

What a ride!

Terry

Russ Kirk

Wow, as of this writing over 3000 views.  That must be some record in such a short amount of time.   Certainly a very popular thread.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

MagicMo

Hello,
What if I told you I just found another Picturephone?
Just kidding.
;)
Mo

Dave F

Quote from: MagicMo on February 07, 2013, 09:52:05 PM
Hello,
Just kidding.
;)
Mo
Whoa, that raised the 'ol blood pressure a notch!

DF

Phonesrfun

Quote from: MagicMo on February 07, 2013, 09:52:05 PM
Hello,
Just kidding.
;)
Mo

I guess we can all dream.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 06, 2013, 12:10:51 AM
Wow, as of this writing over 3000 views.  That must be some record in such a short amount of time.   Certainly a very popular thread.

Russ, not to blow my own horn, but the record so far is over 50,000.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2394.0

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson