News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Multiline phone cords

Started by Babybearjs, January 29, 2016, 04:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I pulled out a old ITT phone yesterday to verify my work on a new line cord that I had installed on it that was recently bought from Deep surplus.com, I noticed that I had not connected all the wiring and while repairing the phone I realized the cord was made with solid wire instead of stranded that where on some of my other phones. my main question is, because to 560 and 2560 series phones are no longer made, where can one find the cords for them? all the 25 pair cabling available to us seems to be all solid conductors... do they even make 25 pair wire in a stranded form anymore? Plus on most of these phones, they don't need the last 5 pairs of wire (the violet set) does anyone know where one could find new multiline phone cords, or are we stuck with making them ourselves.... the solid cabling is aweful stiff and cumbersome. My last alternative would be finding SCSI cords and using them.....(they use the 25 pair cordage)  whats out there???
John

Jim Stettler

Try graybar.   Also you could check with the switchers on the TCI list. I know that some switchers order them made to custom lengths.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

Thanks Jim... I wish OPW could make them up.... but there is little if any call for them.... since everything has changed over to VOIP. now all you need is an RJ45 cord....
John

rdelius

Cant you remove ones from bad sets? .That is what I do when i need one for rebuilding a set

Babybearjs

and if the cord was cut off??? then what?
John

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 29, 2016, 09:44:20 PM
and if the cord was cut off??? then what?

I suspect that redlius meant for you to reuse a good (uncut) cord from an otherwise bad set.

There are plenty of keysets out there looking for a good home so they should be very inexpensive. In fact, entire sets (good and bad) frequently show up on the "free" table at telephone shows.

Another good source would be to post your request for a line-cord on the ATCA or TCI lists since keysystem aficionados frequent both, and are known to be very generous to fellow collectors and may even donate one to your cause.

Babybearjs

OK, then lets move the Seattle phone show to Boise, ID. so I can check out this "free" table....
John

rdelius

If they were cut, I have 2 "Butterfly" tools to fix that.I wish I had saved some parts from the 100s of rotary key sets that went to the dump. Only saved a few tone sets because I would install those at radio stations I installed 1A2 systems at

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 30, 2016, 02:37:05 AM
OK, then lets move the Seattle phone show to Boise, ID. so I can check out this "free" table....

I have seen cords made from only individual twisted-pair wires so it is very doubtful that original line-cords were made from solid conductor cables, but they may have been hacked together from 25-pair i.w. cable by individuals or unscrupulous refurbishers.

You have already been provided with viable alternatives for sourcing originals but seem to be overtly concerned that you are not close a location where telephone shows are being held.

In that case, chose one of the other options or ask a fellow collector who plans to attend one, to keep an eye open for a suitable cord, and at the same time, announce to the various lists that you are in the market for same cord and that you will be having a representative attending the show.

Yet another alternative, that you have already suggested, host a telephone show of your own somewhere near you. Check with the ATCA and TCI for funding.

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 29, 2016, 04:47:04 AM
I pulled out a old ITT phone yesterday to verify my work on a new line cord that I had installed on it that was recently bought from Deep surplus.com, I noticed that I had not connected all the wiring and while repairing the phone I realized the cord was made with solid wire instead of stranded that where on some of my other phones. my main question is, because to 560 and 2560 series phones are no longer made, where can one find the cords for them? all the 25 pair cabling available to us seems to be all solid conductors... do they even make 25 pair wire in a stranded form anymore? Plus on most of these phones, they don't need the last 5 pairs of wire (the violet set) does anyone know where one could find new multiline phone cords, or are we stuck with making them ourselves.... the solid cabling is aweful stiff and cumbersome. My last alternative would be finding SCSI cords and using them.....(they use the 25 pair cordage)  whats out there???

I just checked deepsurplus.com and was unable to find 25-pair line-cords; only standard 25-pair i.w. cables with Amphenol connectors.

Each is clearly described as having solid wires and are not listed as "line-cords."

Is there another section that I missed? If not, then it should not come as a surprise that they did not sell you a line-cord.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 29, 2016, 08:43:16 PM
Thanks Jim... I wish OPW could make them up.... but there is little if any call for them.... since everything has changed over to VOIP. now all you need is an RJ45 cord....

I would check with cable manufacturers (Northern wire and cable, ect). These companies still make 25 pair in cat 3, cat 5 ect. They will make custom lengths and should be able to provide stranded wire if needed. You just spec the cables you need. This is what many of the switchers do. My understanding is the price is reasonable.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

deep surplus is where I normally buy my wiring accessories and even the wire if the price is right. last year they were offering end of roll pieces of 25 pair cable at really good prices... haven't seen that this year so far.... and yes, solid is the only 25 pair choice they offer. basically for IW usage. I used a male end piece on a 564 and they cord is just too stiff to work with.... that's why I asked about the cordage if the line cords are even still available. I need to check sandman.com, but I think the results will be the same....
John

AE_Collector

I did some googling and while i didn't come up with the perfect 25 pair stranded conductor cable i feel it must be available. You have to wade through all the stuff that has overall shield with drain wire, another that has 25 pairs all individually shielded, another that sounds good except it says it has a semi ridgid pvc jacket that would probably nulify the effort of finding stranded wire. Then of course there is the jacket color. Most are gray, slate or silver.

Then I thought again along the lines of battered old keysets that will ultimately likely go for scrap and who might have some available. How about PhoneCo? They are still trying to sell and/or downsize arent they? What if you identified to them that you just need some cords from key sets of a certain type and/or color? Maybe they could find their most battered key sets that have usable cords and make you a deal to downsize a bit of their inventory.

The last Seattle/Tacoma show that I made it to (thanks again Bill for all your work at organizing those shows) had two cardboard boxes full of AE Espresso Brown 186 sets all with the silver satin type Amphenol cords on them and they were all for free. I rescued two of them and probably should have taken a few more. I certainly would have taken all that remained and sent them to you if it weren't two years ago now.

So, they are out there....just a matter of tracking them down.

Terry

poplar1

John, are you changing from your "custom wiring scheme" with RJ45s for each line? What happened to all those original cords you took off?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

these are the phones that I took the cords off of.... I found the original cords and reinstalled them on the phones... I contacted sandman.com to ask about stranded 25 pair wiring, and they could not help. the cords that I have can still be used, so that's my plan for now... as for the sets that I rewired with the RJ45 cords, they will stay as they are for now. it seems that if I ever have to look for some keyset line cords, I'm going to have to stay with the solid wire. but changing over to the RJ45 scheme works too.... it just is a bit more work.....
John