News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE type 40, patents, and the extensicord?

Started by recrum, November 23, 2011, 07:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recrum

Just curios on something?  I have a couple AE type 40s.  Most of them only have 11 patents on the bottom tag.  But, I have a chrome banded model that also includes the patent for the extensicord.  So does that mean it would have originally had one installed or are the patent tags just kind of generic and not for each individual phone?

~Richard

Phonesrfun

Not necessarily.  I think that the patents listed on a phone are done so with the idea that the phone is covered by "one or more of the following patents".  It would have been too difficult to put patent information on individual phones based on options, since the patents are usually either embossed in the metal of the base of the phone, on a metal plate, or on a pre-printed decal.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Hi Richard:

I have wanted to have the time to research the gold decals on AE phones for awhile now but still no time for it. I think the tag for each different model of AE phone will be different in that the Des (design) number should be different for each model. Beyond that the more patents likely the newer the phone is but I don't know any more than that. How do you know that one is for the Extensicord? Did you look up the patents indicidually? If so...keep going! I'd love to read and save the patent info for each of the patents found on AE phones.

Terry

Phonesrfun

I would have thought that there would be a decal for all model 40's and so forth, without regard to opeions, but it will be interesting to see if there are differences between models.

I am not that versed in AE.   >:(
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 23, 2011, 01:02:12 PM
I would have thought that there would be a decal for all model 40's and so forth, without regard to opeions, but it will be interesting to see if there are differences between models.

I am not that versed in AE.   >:(

I don't think that a different label was used depending on options but rather as time went by and they patented more "things" the labels changed to add the newer patents. AE 40's can have the two different ringer styles in them, the older larger ones and newer smaller ones. The newer ones probably added an additional patent to the label. The Extensicord could very liekly be one of the patents as well although I would have thought it would have been available right from day 1 of the AE 40 but maybe not.

ID'ing the patents could be a good way to narrow down the dates of manufacture for these phones as the majority of these phones have the patent sticker on them still and I would highly doubt that the sticker was ever updated in a refurb of the phone.

Terry

recrum

I can't remember if I saw it on this site, but someone googled the patent number and had a link to the result.  Also if you look at pics on oldphoneworks of the cord they show you the patent number.  I want to say it was patented in '34 but I can't varify how early it showed up on the type 40 as the earliest catalog I have is from '40 which does have it pictured as and option.  That is the only patent number difference between the two type 40's I own.  These things are so hard to date.  As even the tagging changed through the years, some had the gold decal, some were just stenciled on like mine that doesnt even have a DES number.  I've even noticed differences in the inside shell mold.  Does anyone have any photos of the older larger ringers?

AE_Collector

Here's a couple of pictures. They are just a little larger than the newer style ringers.

Terry