News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What would you pay for a S.C. No.1197?

Started by Partyline4, February 27, 2015, 10:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

I discovered a little No.1197 at a local antique store today, and I didn't want to pay the asking price before consulting the collection of telephone geniuses I can talk to on this website!

They were asking $70.00....

It is in fair shape, has a tiny chip on the spit cup. I want to negotiate it down to maybe $50.00 or so..

The body is pretty shiny.

Everything seems to be there....

I just want to know if I'm getting a good deal....

Thanks!

Doug Rose

SC1197s are fairly common. I think you can do much better on eBay. The 1197 has just the dial card holder and no blank or dial. Only you can tell the condition and what you care to spend. I like all the early bakelite SCs. I have included a pic, as I get the model numbers confused....Doug
Kidphone

wds

I agree, $70 or even $50 is pretty high.  What style of handset does it have?
Dave

Doug Rose

Here is one with a spit cup handset
Kidphone

Partyline4

I saw that one on eBay Doug!

So what would be a good price for one?

For future reference.

Partyline4

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 28, 2015, 08:16:23 AM
Here is one with a spit cup handset

Seems to have a small chip on the cup...

hmmmmm.......

Partyline4

www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?id=415896316

This guy sold one for $15?

Hmm...

Jim Stettler

I paid $350 for one with a damaged handset, However it was "clear" (actually translucent).
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Partyline4 on February 28, 2015, 10:19:39 AM

For future reference.
$35
Kidphone

Partyline4

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 28, 2015, 05:26:57 PM

For future reference.
$35

Thanks!

The guy told me he had double that IN IT!

I don't know.

Greg G.

Quote from: Partyline4 on February 28, 2015, 06:20:20 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on February 28, 2015, 05:26:57 PM

For future reference.
$35

Thanks!

The guy told me he had double that IN IT!

I don't know.

That's why some of the phones in my collection that I wouldn't mind parting with will probably stay in my collection because I paid too much for them in the first place.  I also have the opposite extreme, phones I could easily flip for much more than I paid, but I don't want to part with them.  Dear oh dear, what's a phone collector to do?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

I think they are cool looking phones, but manual phones are usually much cheaper than a dial. I do love the manual phones, that is no secret .....but I like the dial blanks on them. I think a lot of others might feel the same way. They are bakelite so I am surprised that they don't sell for more. Sort of the same story with the Metal SC 1243s, really nice deco look that is very similar to a WE 302. Can't give them away, even with perfect paint....Doug
Kidphone

Fabius

Here's a 1197 on eBay now. But take a look at the picture. Wouldn't it be a good idea for the seller to remove the $25 original price when you start the auction at $58.99 and a BIN of $95?

http://tinyurl.com/l7zl52c

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Partyline4

Here's the seller's most recent message about the phone.

I still don't think it's a good deal....

"Hi again...if you buy it now, I will invoice you (or refund you accordingly)  an adjusted price of $62.00, including shipping. This is the best I can do. I think it is a great deal.
Thanks...Kurt"

So this phone wouldn't work just hooked up to the phone line?

I would need a subset, wouldn't I?

paul-f

Quote from: Fabius on March 01, 2015, 10:55:52 AM
Here's a 1197 on eBay now. But take a look at the picture. Wouldn't it be a good idea for the seller to remove the $25 original price when you start the auction at $58.99 and a BIN of $95?

http://tinyurl.com/l7zl52c

I believe I recognize the writing and know whose table this came from at a past Enfield, CT telephone show.  That would have been some years ago, so the phone has probably been stored or changed hands a few times.  Then there's inflation.

Still, I certainly would have removed the former price!  Or maybe replaced it with a "price" of $200.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line