News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 2nd attempt at a brown 302

Started by persido, October 26, 2014, 03:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

A few months back I attempted to restore a 302, It was painted brown, but the end result was more like a plum color.  So this is my 2nd attempt with brown, this one came out a lot better, it's a true brown.

Scot

JimH

Very nice, Scot.  I think the 302 was briefly available in brown in the late 30s?  I might be thinking of a D1 mounting, I don't know.  Has a brown example ever turned up?  It would be interesting to see if it was much darker like the later mahogany brown 500s.
Jim H.

unbeldi

The only items made in brown until the 500 set were cords, wiring and connectors with the color code 9.
Code 9 was replaced with 54 for the connectors (e.g., 283B) in the 50s.

JimH

I was just looking at Paul f.'s "Phones in color" page, and it lists a Yale Blue and Medium brown ('37 only).  These colors are not listed with the others with a code.  Could these have been a special order?  They're listed as "found sets".  I know I've read they would custom match  wallpaper or fabric for you if you had the $.

Jim
Jim H.

jsowers

Your brown color came out really nice. I like the matching mask over the card too.

The shade of brown reminds me a little of coppertone appliances of the 1960s and 70s. It would look great to airbrush on a slightly darker shade of brown near the edges, kind of like what WE did on some of the metallic painted 302s. But it would take quite an artist. Some appliances had that effect in the finish too. I attached one to show you.
Jonathan

unbeldi

Quote from: JimH on October 26, 2014, 04:58:18 PM
I was just looking at Paul f.'s "Phones in color" page, and it lists a Yale Blue and Medium brown ('37 only).  These colors are not listed with the others with a code.  Could these have been a special order?  They're listed as "found sets".  I know I've read they would custom match  wallpaper or fabric for you if you had the $.

Jim
That appears to have been the policy, to match a customer's colors if technically feasible. On those grounds we could certainly find any color.

tallguy58

Is it just me or does that phone look like it's made out of milk chocolate?
Cheers........Bill

Kenton K

Great job! Are you using an airbrush? And what type of paint? I would love to take a stab at painting.

KK

persido

Thanks everyone, Kenton the paint used is polane and it is being applied by an air brush. The darker shade of brown at the edges would look great, but very difficult.

Scot