"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1941 Ivory 302 - looks like a contest possibility

Started by baldopeacock, November 19, 2010, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Bill,

That information is all true for the late '40s 5J FW.  The earlier version shown above is removed from the dial by prying the acetate disk & number card out of the center & loosening the nut.  The fingerwheel is cast onto the metal cross piece that is shown in the pic. above , so FW & mount come off as a unit.
Stephen

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jester on December 03, 2010, 02:48:50 PM
Bill,

That information is all true for the late '40s 5J FW.  The earlier version shown above is removed from the dial by prying the acetate disk & number card out of the center & loosening the nut.  The fingerwheel is cast onto the metal cross piece that is shown in the pic. above , so FW & mount come off as a unit.
Stephen...that's what I thought. I wondered why the dial card looked so rumpled around the edges. Not the best design WE came up with.

Bill, you are describing the clear finger wheel that went on the 5Js with the two piece flange before the hole was added to put the good old paper clip in.

I'd love to see a picture of these two clear finger wheels side by side.....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

Well, as the old guys used to say, "I'll be danged"

I have not run into the kind with the mount built into the finger wheel.  I have three of the 5J versions.

-Bill G

elmwood

What is it about those ivory 302s that makes them seem so "creamy" compared to ivory 500s?

Dan

Here's my 12-1949 for comparison.
Interesting story on this one. The seller went to the home of an estate auction and saw this phone hooked up in the den. She saw it wasn't in the auction and asked if she could buy it. She didn't think it was old because it was so clean. She bought it anyway and put it up on ebay after keeping it for a year. It is so clean, all I did was a wipe over with Novus two. The handset needs an ivory cord. It works all the way, the cord has a little fraying.  Any supplier out there for me guys?

It is milky, that's all I can say !

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

deedubya3800

To ETS1979 and Dan:

Both very beautiful phones! Congratulations! The filler plate under the grip handle, what is it made of? I think pre-war are painted metal and and post-war are molded plastic, and I'd like to confirm it. My '42 is painted metal.

Dan

baldopeacock

Quote from: deedubya3800 on December 03, 2010, 10:00:19 PM
To ETS1979 and Dan:

Both very beautiful phones! Congratulations! The filler plate under the grip handle, what is it made of? I think pre-war are painted metal and and post-war are molded plastic, and I'd like to confirm it. My '42 is painted metal.

ETS has another ivory '41 - also really nice, it required a lot of love to restore the finish though.   Saw him and an old group of college friends this past weekend so we were talking about the first '41's history at that time.  That one does have the painted metal cup under the lift.   Here's a pic of the first '41 he posted back in July.   You can see the slightly different color of the painted metal cup.

I'm thinking this one probably does because the dates are the same in both phones, first quarter '41.   His previous '41 did not have the thick fingerwheel when he got it - had a later, and damaged, thinner clear wheel.   This is the first one I've seen with the thick fingerwheel.

Here's another pic of that first '41.

That original thread if you're curious -

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2327.0

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan on December 03, 2010, 07:46:53 PM
Here's my 12-1949 for comparison.
Interesting story on this one. The seller went to the home of an estate auction and saw this phone hooked up in the den. She saw it wasn't in the auction and asked if she could buy it. She didn't think it was old because it was so clean. She bought it anyway and put it up on ebay after keeping it for a year. It is so clean, all I did was a wipe over with Novus two. The handset needs an ivory cord. It works all the way, the cord has a little fraying.  Any supplier out there for me guys?

It is milky, that's all I can say !

Dan....HOME RUN!!! You hit it out of the Park with this beauty. Great Price...Great phone!....Doug
Kidphone

Dan

Thanks Doug, it looks like it will be my best Christmas present this year.

ETS1979

All the above has made for a very interesting discussion!  This photo shows the fingerwheel removed from the phone.    As suggested above, it does come off very easily by removing the nut.   This is much easier and safer than the later version with the tiny slider underneath.

ETS1979

This photo shows the requested side by side comparison.  The metal 4 pointed star fits into the nicely formed fingerwheel and pushes down on the corresponding 4 pointed star seen on the phone.  A great system!  Now the bad news...It appears that the only way to install a dial card is to carefully work it into the groove in the upper part of the fingerwheel.  Though I haven't tried it yet, it is probably going to be tricky to do without bending the card.   The card that was on the phone was not installed.  It was stuck to the nut with a loop of scotch tape.  I don't think it belonged on the phone....The comparison fingerwheel comes from my cracked blue 302.

ETS1979

Here are couple more comparison pics...