News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

April 25, 2010 conference call

Started by bwanna, April 25, 2010, 09:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

There's one thing I keep thinking of after hearing Dan say how indifferent the seller was to the fact that it was fully restored.  I think the seller is faking it, I bet he's telling all his friends how he got over 200 clams for a "parts" phone that he probably thought he would only get $5-$10 for, if anything, and now he and his friends are out scouring the countryside looking for more.  That's ok, keep them coming!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Wallphone

The conference call was fun and interesting on this special occasion.
Dan's phone was loud and clear.
Thanks Donna for coming up with the attendee list,
and to Paul for setting up the call.
And of course to Dan for making this all possible.
If you believe in Karma, this phone definitely found the right owner.
It was waiting for 60 years for Dan to come along and let it out of the bottle.
We had 16 people on the conference call.
At the start of the conference there were 16 members signed in to the Rotary Forum.
What is the most that had ever been signed in at one time?
Dougpav

bwanna

heath, glad we could be color co-ordanated.  :) briny, if you are anymore handsome than you appear in your pic, i might have to move to seattle. ;)

link to mp3 file of call:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2554.0;topicseen

thx paul for posting the file.

d/p i think you should post your opening comments in this thread.  others made nice statements, if you guys had those in writing....would be nice to see them here.

thanks to everyone for your help in updating the roster! 8)
donna

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Wallphone on April 26, 2010, 08:54:00 AM
What is the most that had ever been signed in at one time?
Dougpav

If you click on forum stats from the main page, it says there were 78 on at one time on August 25th last year.

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bwanna;
I will go back and transcribe what I said, as I did vary slightly from my original written statement.
Then I will post it.
That's wonderful, I pick up and move to Imlay City, Michigan, and find out Donna done picked up and moved to Seattle.  ::)
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jester

This was definitely a memorable event!  I didn't have much to contribute, but just to connect voices with names & people I've come to know made this worth the effort.  Thinking about all old phones connected to that one call was also a neat picture.  At least a third of them were right at sixty years old, & came through loud & clear.  Congrats again to D/P on his accomplishment, & thank you to everybody who made it possible for him to share it with all of us.

Bwanna,
The wife took this shot in the middle of the call--hope my "comfortable" look doesn't offend. :P  You might notice a similarity in my surroundings & yours.  The drop-leaf secretary to my right is an old Larkin that I refinished when I was in college.  I liked seeing your Mission piece in your pic.
Stephen

rp2813

I am deeply sorry that I missed the call.  My crazy schedule got away from me.  I'll be very interested in hearing the transcript if there is one, and will do my best to join a future call.

Ralph
Ralph

bwanna

ralph,....i am sorry you did not make the call.  :( i was looking forward to "meeting" you.

d/p...when are you moving to imlay city ??? :o

o wow stephen....didn't even notice you in the pic ::)  i was focused on the great desk.  :D mine is one of the first antique pieces i  ever bought. arts & crafts/mission....one of my favorite design eras.

i, too was amazed at how clear the conversation was. between being on a conference & all the old sets, i expected to have a little trouble hearing everyone.
donna

AET

Sorry, I missed the call, I really wanted to be there.  But I did do something phone related yesterday and bought a 302.
- Tom

Dan/Panther

I just called and canceled the van and stopped escrow on the house. I read you were moving to Seattle so no point in my moving to Imlay City... :( :'( ::)

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

BTW Stephen, the cat seems to be doing a better job re: the comfortable look!  No offense taken here, as I tend to be equally casual around the house during all but the coldest of months.

The more I see early 500's like yours with straight handset cords, the more I think I'm going to have to track one down for my 10/50.

Ralph
Ralph

bwanna

there were several mentions of future calls. maybe we could pick a central topic for each call.  ???
donna

Russ Kirk

Hi All,

Here is a photo me me in my phone room during the call.

I just love the imbedded camera in my iMac!

As for the future calls,  I think every two to four weeks would be a good start.
The conf call leader could take roll-call by time zone to keep from everyone stepping on each other with introductions.
Picking a different topic for every call is a good way of keeping the calls on topic instead of wandering all over the place. As long as we pick a different topic each week. 

Take care.....
:D

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

bwanna

nice collection, russ. thanks for the photo.

i think it's ok to let the conversation meander....that is kinda the fun part.  but having a topic helps get the ball rolling. 1x a month would be enough for me. would be kinda difficult to schedule more time than that. of course the call account is there....even if just a few wanted to use it .....would that be OK?
donna

Jester

Ralph,
That cat could be comfortable anywhere1 :D  I usually have her on one arm of that sofa and the other one is either in my lap, on one of the back cushions or perched on the other arm when I sit down--like bookends!!  She's parked on top of the terminating end of the wall cord to the '50 like she's guarding the connection.

That would be great if you could find a straight handset cord for that phone.  I've enjoyed having one on this phone.  When I got it, it had an early vinyl coiled cord like yours.  The last time I used it(close to twenty years ago) it was still on there & I remember how much it tugged on the handset as I used it.  Last night's call was much more comfortable.

Having a topic sounds like a good reason for future conference calls.  As a suggestion, Jorge mentioned that he, Dennis & I should call one another on our amplified sets.  This would give me a good excuse to finish the 532.
Stephen