News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pioneer PL-300 turntable - Just for Four Score...

Started by twocvbloke, April 09, 2014, 04:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotophor

• Be sure you're using LINE-in and not MIC-in on the computer.
These are unlikely, but:

• Does the turntable have a built-in preamp?
  • Is the cartridge ceramic?
A ceramic cartridge gives high output and doesn't need a preamp (also does not need RIAA compensation). If the turntable has a built-in preamp, connecting to another one will of course give over-amplification.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

twocvbloke

I used the Line-In port (blue socket), not the Mic (Pink socket), the turntable has no built in amplifier, connecting it up to the same computer's line port without any preamp results in a very poor, weak signal as I tried this when I initially got the turntable, and the Audio Technica AT95 cartridge is most definitely not ceramic, I don't even think Audio Technica do ceramic cartridges... ???

twocvbloke

Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd hook up a set of headphones directly to the preamp's output, and goodness me that output is loud, no wonder my computers aren't too pleased with being fed such a loud input... :o

Scotophor

If the preamp doesn't have a gain control (I don't see one in your photos), you could put an in-line attenuator (volume control) between it and your PC. I just remembered I have one for my PC around here somewhere.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

twocvbloke

Yeah, I was thinking about putting together an inline volume control using the potentiometer from the failed headphone amp project, just need a metal case to put it in rather than use the plastic one I bought (an error on my part!!), just to keep the electrical noise out... :)

Need more audio cables though, I seem to have a distinct lack of useful and useable cables, despite having a load of them... ::)

HarrySmith

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 24, 2014, 11:22:13 AM

Need more audio cables though, I seem to have a distinct lack of useful and useable cables, despite having a load of them... ::)
Quote from: twocvbloke on April 24, 2014, 11:22:13 AM

Isn't that the way it always works?
I have boxes of phone cords but every time I work on a phone that needs replacement I don't have it!!
Isn't that one of Murphy's laws?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 24, 2014, 12:06:40 PMIsn't that the way it always works?
I have boxes of phone cords but every time I work on a phone that needs replacement I don't have it!!
Isn't that one of Murphy's laws?

Over here we call it sod's law, but yep, when you want something, it'll not be there when you want it... ;D

twocvbloke

I think today is a fail, cos I can't find the cables I want, I bought some bread buns but forgot to buy the filling, I almost cut my thumb open trimming some chinese plastics, and to top it all, my favourite soldering iron just died... ::)

twocvbloke

I eventually found the cables I was looking for, and got the inline volume control assembled (but not boxed yet), done some test recordings and it's all nice, just need a better soundcard to record with as the onboard toy doesn't do anything higher than 16bit/48KHz recording so cuts out some of the sound... :)

Also got a couple more records, The Firm - Star Trekkin' (12" 45 single), and Foreigner - 4 (LP), both of which sound great, though I think I need to fiddle with the cartridge alignment again as the latter seems to have some fairly noticeable sibilance as it gets towards the inner tracks... ???

That and I think the motor needs a lube job as it's having a few speed issues from cold...  ;D

twocvbloke

Goodness me that really did need an oil change!! The oil that was on the spindle stunk! It smelled like rancid vegetable oil, hopefully it wasn't actually vegetable oil though... :o

Still, it's nice and lubed, and the alignment sorted (well, according to my printed alignment gauge, just playing Foreigner - 4 now cos that highlighted the issue better than my other records), and the speed adjusted though I think the adjuster pots need spraying with contact cleaner, which I haven't got, cos they're still not quite right, but it's better than nothing... :)

twocvbloke

Finally got around to making the line attenuator for use between the pre-amp and a Line-In port, very simple to make, I used a 10k Logarithmic Stereo Potentiometer, a metal blanking plate and a back box, drilled a few holes, and hey presto, a home made line attenuator which works beautifully to lower the output to something that doesn't overload my Line-in ports on my computers, and is also handy as a passive volume control for use with headphones or my Pringles speaker (cheap plastic thing with flashing lights that sits atop an empty Pringles tube) to listen directly from the preamp given the AT95 is very "loud" on playback... :)

Though the PL-300 isn't seeing it being used, as the PL-400 has taken its place and is working nicely... :)

Anyway, a nice pic to look at... ;D