News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found: Previously unseen Western Electric 500 cut-away drawing

Started by Adam, March 04, 2015, 02:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

I found this really nice drawing yesterday while surfing the net looking for something else.  I've seen lots of early drawings for the 500 but I've never seen this one before.

This could be an official Western Electric drawing as it has the Western Electric logo on the inside of the base (where the actual set didn't really have one).  Other than that, it's very detail accurate.

I find it interesting that it includes the "dial night light base" but does not have the screw terminal strip under the dial, the 500P would have had that, wouldn't it?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

WEBellSystemChristian

I think the Western Electric logo on the base was just a creative way of establishing that it was a WE drawing, rather than a printed name in the corner of the page.

Yes, very detailed!! I really like it!

I also find it interesting that they labeled the line cord; "Cord to Central Office".
I never really thought of it like that!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

I suspect this drawing to be from a  US Signal Corp manual  TM-something....  These are some of the finest repair and service manuals for old equipment, incl. telephones.  They often used drawings like this and have detailed circuit diagrams and parts lists.  The drawings always appear to have been furnished by Western Electric directly and other manufacturers.

WEBellSystemChristian

Here is a drawing of a WE candlestick that Poplar1 recently posted with the same "Western Electric" wording on the phone.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford