News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Practical Exercise: The 1A1 Key Telephone (book)

Started by Babybearjs, April 13, 2017, 01:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I came across a search result that I thought would be worth sharing.... I found a listing for a book, written in 1984 by the US Army in Fort Gordon. (Fort Gordon Army Signal Center) when I went to try to download it... I found that I had to be a student at a university to be able to obtain it....so much for that....anyway, has anyone ever read or even seen this document? I'd like to get a copy of it and don't know where else to look.... any ideas???
John

Bill

There are copies at several libraries, though none of them particularly close to you. But most libraries are pleased to arrange an inter-library loan. Take a run over to the Boise Public Library, or the library at Boise State University. Give them the title, and say "WorldCat" as an index to look it up. (There are several, and they will check them all.) I bet they can have it in your hand in a week. And since it is only 28 pages you might even scan it into electronic format.

Bill

Babybearjs

That's the problem, they're at the university...Which I can get to.....But I'm Not a Student.... so.... How do I get it??
John

Jim Stettler

You might beable to find it on another site like internet archive, Free library project, ect.
Just a thought.
Jim s.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

I'm wondering if Ft. Gordon still has it? would it be worth contacting them?
John

TelePlay

What's the complete title?

Never mind on that. It's call letters are

D 101.107: 622-36 H 10/101-LP 1-PE (1)

Title:  Practical exercise : the 1A1 key telephone system

and there are copies around in libraries but no pdf or eBook versions on the internet (that I've found). The Wisconsin Historical Society in Madison (90 miles away) has one available for check out but I would not feel safe having to go that deep into Madison, and across the street from the University much less, to check it out and then return it.

Maybe you can find a large public library that will get it for you.

Babybearjs

I got a "NO" on my question about this document being in the LOC (Library Of Congress) If anyone has this, or knows how I can get it outside of the Universities... I'd appreciate it... heres the full detail sheet.
John

Bill

Quote from: Bill on April 18, 2017, 07:48:21 PM
Take a run over to the Boise Public Library ...

Bill
Is there something wrong with this thought? If you've been banned from the public library, you must be one bad dude.

Babybearjs

I could check the local library, but from the info I got about the document listing, its ONLY available in the college campus' library... I was amazed to here the library of Congress didn't even have it.... I thought they had everything....
John

TelePlay

Quote from: Babybearjs on April 24, 2017, 02:30:01 PM
I could check the local library, but from the info I got about the document listing, its ONLY available in the college campus' library... I was amazed to here the library of Congress didn't even have it.... I thought they had everything....

Okay, there are only 30 copies of this book in the world and they are spread around the country in university libraries requiring staff or student credential to access. I guess that is a way to save literary works forever, to avoid loosing them if all stored in one place.

All except for one. The Wisconsin State Historical Society has a copy and I checked it out today by way of inter library loan. Not worth driving 240 miles (four 60 mile trips) to check it out and return it. Anything in the WSHS can be checked out by any Wisconsin resident.

I will have it in my hands in 1 to 2 weeks. But I will have it at some point in the future.

Owain

Quote from: TelePlay on April 24, 2017, 02:37:06 PM
I will have it in my hands in 1 to 2 weeks. But I will have it at some point in the future.

At which point you will take it to your local library and scan it ...

TelePlay

Quote from: Owain on April 24, 2017, 03:02:20 PM
At which point you will take it to your local library and scan it ...

Was that a question or a command . . .?

Owain

TelePlay

Quote from: Owain on April 25, 2017, 03:49:27 PM
A prediction or a request, perhaps.

Well, I think that gets to the intent, originally, and I now feel a bit more comfortable doing that.

After doing a bit of research, the book is a " National government publication" which according to the USA.gov site dealing with government publications and copyrights, one can

"Reproduce the work in print or digital form

and

Distribute copies or digitally transfer the work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending"

Unless someone knows better otherwise . . .

TelePlay

The owning library did not send the book. They sent a copy of the book, mine free to keep as it is a National Government Publication and nothing within the book would fall under the Copyright Exceptions to such publications.

As such some pages are not necessarily vertical and the last pages, which by fold shadows on the copies, were expanded and copied onto an 8x10 capture. The pages were scanned as received. Also, the traces and notations may be a bit difficult to read. I did use a high resolution scan for those diagrams so with enlargement, they are as good as seen on the paper copy.

Practical Exercise: The 1A1 Key Telephone System

donations can be sent to my PayPal account