News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dials: test and interpreting test results.

Started by dsk, February 16, 2013, 09:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

It seems like the W.E. dial is slower (to slow) but it has a better make/break ratio.
I would try to adjust the AE spring as a start.

dsk

Haf

The tab I should bend a little like in the picture? I did that, weather it was successful or not, I don't know as it only bend a very little, hard to see how much as I don't want to use too much force. Will Make a new recording tomorrow.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

Yes. The idea is to make the time the contacts are open slightly shorter.

dsk

dsk

How did I do the analyzing of the sound file?

1 If you don't have it download Audacity from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/, Its free.

2 Open the file in Audacity, and you get up a picture, and a timeline,

3 Identifying, counting and measuring;

Look for 10 identical intervals, this should be the breaks.
I did put a red line on this picture where it is not a break.  After the break it is a time limited make, eccept for the tenth, because it remains until next digit. So you have to mark out the 9 first breaks and the following make. (I made a yellow line)

4 So to the maths: Dont back out now! its just to put in to a regular calculator or spreadsheet.

Measure the length of the yellow stripe, read off the time it equals on the line on top. 9/(the time you measured) = no of pulses pr sec. (pps)  This is actually the most important information. The ideal speed is 10 pps, if your dial are misdialing, try to adjust the speed. (The way to do this may be different from make to make) Generally, a to slow dial should be cleaned, and carefully oiled. The second will be to adjust the tension of the spring making the dial to return. The last will be to adjust the centrifugal regulator. If it is to fast, skip the cleaning and oiling.

When you have the right speed, 10-11 pps use to be OK, but over here we can see a well working W.E dial at only 8.9 pps.  No reason for adjusting it before you get trouble. Worse if you are going to send it away, you don't know how will work other places.

This time is the first I have had an idea of problems who may be related to make/Brake ratio. More maths: You have to measure the time of a break, and divide it to the total time of a make, and a break. if you multiply this answer with 100, you get the make ratio in %.  Since the make should be 1/3 (33%) of the time in some countries and 2/5 (40%) in others something in the middle could be fine, but this is actually not always possible to adjust at all. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. You may try to find a way, this is never meant for adjusting, and when you do something, be sure you are able to reverse the process.

dsk

Haf

New recording after bending :)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

;D
So close to ideal  :D
If it mis-dials now we have to look for other problems, this seems to be the best reading ever  :D
dsk

dsk

Just to inform the readers, Haf's phone is working great now, it was a short in the wiring, and when this was repaired the phone is dialing well, and the quality of sound is as good as it can be with a carbon transmitter!

dsk

AE_Collector

That's great dsk. I knew you would get him sorted out. Now he is adding an AE 40 to his collection. Hope it works "out of the box"!

Terry