News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Telephone Collection - davidbholcomb

Started by davidbholcomb, October 23, 2012, 12:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbholcomb

Well I am new to this but thought I would share in case anyone had anything to add. Here is my collection as of now. Yes, it is missing a rotary CS but maybe someday.

#1 1907 Milwaukee Telephone & Mfg. Co. Wall Phone

#2 Kellogg  Candlestick  I was disappointed when I got it because the transmitter does not work.

#3 Stromberg Carlson Candlestick Works great.

#4 Western Electric Bower-Barff 40AL Candlestick  I have to replace all the wires. Do not know if it will work yet.

#5 1936 Western Electric D1 (202) From Los Angeles Works great. I have to get my 684A subset wired up to this.

#6 1938 Western Electric 302 Works great.

#7  Lineman's handset aka a Butt phone or Buttinski phone. The story behind the "Buttinski" name I find hilarious. If someone can show me that there was a real guy by the name Buttinski who invented this phone I would love it.

http://holcombs.net/phone.html
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

Dennis Markham

Welcome to the Forum, David.  I especially like the  D1/E1 with the rural dial plate and NOrmandy dial card.  Nice looking phone.  You have a nice collection started there.

davidbholcomb

Thanks for the welcome Dennis. I am just a novice and have several books ordered so someday I will know the ins and outs of dials. The phone is from Los Angeles and LA had a NOrmandy exchange so I wonder why the rural dial plate.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 23, 2012, 05:41:39 PM
Welcome to the Forum, David.  I especially like the  D1/E1 with the rural dial plate and NOrmandy dial card.  Nice looking phone.  You have a nice collection started there.
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

Dennis Markham

David, there were several areas that used NOrmandy.  One of them in my neck of the woods in Ann Arbor, MI which may have been rural back then.  Take a look at this site, called the TENproject database.  It loads very slowly but you can look up exchange names and also add exchanges.

http://rcrowe.brinkster.net/tensearch.aspx

Also, the dial card and or dial plate may have been changed over the years.

poplar1

I doubt that this number card and number plate were used together. To dial NOrmandy (66), you would need letters on the dial.

There were places that had number plates with numerals + J, M, R, W. These were used for dialing party line subscribers where the party lines were in manual central offices. In that case it might be possible to see a number card that was all numbers on a dial phone even though there were also 4 letters on the number plate.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

davidbholcomb

Thanks for the replies. Interesting point about the dial not having letters, so why the exchange name. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Just got my new books today so will have to do some much needed reading.

Quote from: poplar1 on October 25, 2012, 01:38:32 PM
I doubt that this number card and number plate were used together. To dial NOrmandy (66), you would need letters on the dial.

There were places that had number plates with numerals + J, M, R, W. These were used for dialing party line subscribers where the party lines were in manual central offices. In that case it might be possible to see a number card that was all numbers on a dial phone even though there were also 4 letters on the number plate.