"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

erik666's Phone Pictures

Started by erik666, March 16, 2011, 10:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erik666

Quote from: poplar1 on January 22, 2013, 09:38:31 PM
These turn up sometimes on ebay. It is probably stamped 150GJ-55 on the back and inside the upper housing.

This particular phone appears to be one that was modified by Rochester Telephone. One collector told me he has a receipt showing one of these modified phones being sold by Rochester Tel to a customer for $1.00. (However, there are also Rochester Telephone handbooks showing how to convert some older pay phones to newer models, but for actual use by the company on pay phone lines.)

The Gray/Western markings indicate that the lower housing was once part of a 50 or 150 "transmitter-receiver type coin collector" (or "two-piece pay phone"). Since 1934 is the year that WE started making their own pay phones, this part was made before 1934.

Notice that on this particular phone, there is an AE chrome hookswitch, a Stromberg-Carlson Bakelite handset, and a WE or NE dial. Also the red instruction card on the front and an area code 716 instruction card on top (716 includes Rochester, NY). It probably has a later model Automatic Electric  lead 10 cent coin chute inside. The coin gauge has been changed from cast to steel. There is probably a 4010 network added inside (rather than a separate subset). The "open throat" coin return has been changed to the AE bucket style.

The thing to look for is other old parts in addition to the Gray/Western lower housing. Some of these have evidence of an old transmitter that was once mounted on the front of the phone. (Look underneath the  instruction card holder on the front.) Some even have the "double lip" cast iron upper housing and/or cast iron backs. The cast iron Upper Housing will have evidence of the 5-cent gong and 25-cent cathedral gong that were mounted on the sides of the UH instead of on the coin chute.

Ouch they paid a dollar for it  !
You are right on the money tho Poplar1! The receiver is very heavy and it has Stromberg Carlson stamped on it  also on the top and back it has
150-GJ-55-B stamped on it
Sadly either the key is bad or the lock is shot I cannot get the upper case open  I wonder how much a lock smith would charge me to fix it
If it is not too much I may  take it in
another bonus is a wire is intact and coming out the back
Thank you for your responce if I get it open ill take pic  8) ;D

poplar1

Most of the Western Electrics you can open just by removing the 7 screws on the back. With AE phones, two screws are unfortunately inserted from the front and may have to be drilled out.

Paul Vaverchek told me that sometimes you can pry the Upper Housing off; I've never tried this and in any case don't do it if it is cast iron not steel. Apparently it was one way people broke into the phones, though unlucky for them, they still couldn't easeily get to the coin vault that way. Supposedly, that is the reason the additional Ace lock was added.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

erik666

Quote from: kleenax on October 28, 2012, 06:08:54 PM
Quote from: erik666 on October 22, 2012, 09:44:00 AM
a couple new ones
Old 2 peice AE with chrome under black paint should I remove paint?
rare Brass plated AE 3 slot has added ringer inside and works great anyone know any info about this?
Hey Eric;

Your AE 2-piece is unfortunately made up of various parts, and is not really that old. It appears to have a Western-Electric bottom housing, and a mid-1970's dial shroud. The transmitter is from an AE hotel phone. It does appear to have an original Gray/Early AE vault door however. The truth be known, AE never really produced a 2-piece payphone. Can't speak about the Brass example; sorry.
Thank you I took you advice and parted with the franken phone and got the above Gray which I am much happier with altho that Franken phone did work !