News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ever been to Telephone?

Started by TelePlay, December 23, 2013, 11:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Texas, that is. Located quite a few nine irons north east of Dallas, it boasts a post office and the Dew Drop Inn Cafe & Bakery, just to the left of the Farmer's Market in this picture.

From Wikipedia: "Although the first settlers arrived in the area during the 1870s, a community did not develop until the mid-1880s. The community received its name because the only telephone in the area was located in a general store owned by Pete Hindman. When Hindman applied for permission to open a post office, authorities repeatedly refused his submissions because the suggested names were already used by other post offices in the state. He finally submitted the name Telephone, which was accepted, and the post office opened in 1886. By 1890, Telephone had an estimated population of 30. The community continued to grow and by the outbreak of World War I, the number of residents had increased to 100. Unlike many rural communities in Texas during the Great Depression, Telephone's population remained stable at around 100. By the mid-1940s, the community had ten businesses and 280 residents. In 1990, Telephone had six businesses, a post office, and an estimated population of 210. That figure remains unchanged as of 2000."

Add that to your bucket list . . .  ;)

WesternElectricBen

Wow, that is quite interesting that the population has never changed all to much.

Ben

twocvbloke

I've just been informed by my friend in Texas that there's also a Telegraph too, I guess that must be full of Poles... ;D

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 24, 2013, 12:07:56 AM
I've just been informed by my friend in Texas that there's also a Telegraph too, I guess that must be full of Poles... ;D

Exactly. Telegraph, per biographer Robert A. Caro who wrote that "the town had no telegraph; it had been given its name because telegraph poles had been cut from trees near there during the 1850s."

While Telephone has people today, Telegraph's one and only permanent building, which housed the post office, general store and lone residence, closed in 2009 making Telegraph a ghost town - one of 800 in Texas today.

Matilo Telephones

Oww, I love this. I will put this on my bucket list. I hope to visit the southern US once. So far I have only been at Miami airport.

It reminds me a little bit of Solitaire, Namibia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solitaire,_Namibia

I love going nowhere.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones