News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

need help with kellog 1000

Started by JABOT123, June 03, 2013, 12:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

popular1 is leading you in the right direction however I did not see your reply to him regarding whether you have plugged another telephone into the same wall jack to verify it is working ok.

It would be beneficial if you would verify that it is working correctly before spending money on a new cord that may not have been needed.

JABOT123

Yes I use that jack with another phone and it works fine.  I just bought new telephone cord. It has 4 spades with wires and modular jack. I connected the red and green wires. Now when I call I recieve a busy signal. When I pick up headphone I recieve busy signal. Help would be appreciated

poplar1

Try temporarily disconnecting one of the two wires going to the ringer.

This way we can make sure the capacitor is not shorted.

Also, if you could take some pictures of the inside wiring, someone may be able to spot something not connected right. On the other hand, the only hand-wired connections are the 3 wires to the handset and 2 to the wall, if the dial cord has the silver plug for connecting it to the network.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

JABOT123

OK I will give it  a try. I was able to make one callout and then phone went back to busy status.

poplar1

That sounds like the phone is making the line busy at all times, except when the dial is pulsing out a number. I still think it may be in the ringer circuit (shorted capacitor or ringer connected directly to L1 and L2, thereby bypassing the capacitor).

What terminals to you have the 2 ringer wires connected to?

I don't have much practice with K1000s because where I worked, we threw these back in the pile or robbed the dials to use on  AE 40s, SC 1243s, NE 302s, WE 302s and North 6H6 sets.

LarryInMichigan

I would suggest getting a replacement condenser module from someone here or Steve Hilsz.  He wanted $2 or $3 for one that last I spoke with him about it.

Larry

poplar1

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 26, 2013, 05:26:06 PM
I would suggest getting a replacement condenser module from someone here or Steve Hilsz.  He wanted $2 or $3 for one that last I spoke with him about it.

Larry

That won't help if the phone is wired wrong.

LarryInMichigan

Never mind, I was thinking about another problem.

Larry

poplar1

That's why ringers in 500s, 304s and 354s all have 4 wires--so they can be wired for tip party identification. This provides a high resistance path to ground when you are off hook. This condition is detected by the central office for billing the correct party for local calls on message rate lines (Chicago, New York, etc.) and for long distance calls.