News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Going Off-Line.

Started by Babybearjs, April 24, 2019, 03:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I'm at the stage of daisey-chaining all the blocks together! What a challenge! (and time consuming!) was doing the red group and screwed up somehow, wound up having the punch down 1 pair at a time! working on the black group and hopefully be dome soon! having to take a break almost every 15 minutes because of eye strain! damned lighting! I have to use halogen lights to see what I'm doing now! damned LED's are like regular bulbs... they distort the colors! I hate getting old! anyway, here are some more pictures!
John

Key2871

I used a master block, then cross connected to the other blocks. It made it easier than Daisy chaining like you are.
That and bridge clips so if I need to isolate a block in case of trouble.
KEN

Babybearjs

here is a photo of what seems to be the final result... with everything in.... now comes the fun  part of hooking everything back up!
John

Key2871

Looking good. Use some tie wraps to neaten up those wires it will look nice.
KEN

Babybearjs

Yup, still working on it... has to repunch my alarm cabinet block... got that done... got my 212L phone hooked back up... still have to do the cross connects...  to give you guys an idea of what I'm doing with my 212L heres a copy of the excel sheet I made up for it. the white, and Orange cables ate tied to the  6028DA switch and the green just goes to a #44 Black for the buzzer and future accessories. the Brown cable goes from the actual handset phone to the subset, and from there into the house.  a challenge to wire.
John

Babybearjs

and today we added the cut off switches.... and the 1A1 matrix block... wired for 6 stations and 5 lines. at this point, I think I'm done adding stuff to the lay out. I got the 66 block for the alarm cabinet and reterminated that... just waiting for the cover to come from discount low voltage. once thats done, then my attention falls on getting regular power to the site.... as shown in the photos, I installed a double gang wiremold box to the layout and have to run conduit from the back of the house to the front! will be putting in 2 outside outlets into the mix for power on the south side of my home. My neighbor works for a electrical distributor, so he can get me a 20% discount on the parts... then, after that.... its saving up for the wire and a good rest from all this project!
John

Babybearjs

;D this is what happens when you make changes to your system!
John

Babybearjs

and here's my 212L and related items... this is located in my covered carport...
John

Babybearjs

05/20/19: Got the 6040G today, nice unit. noticed that line 3 button was depressed and when I opened it up I found the keyset was damaged. thought I could just swap out the 636 with another one... no.... WE made there assemblies with cast aluminum parts and ITT used Nylon (plastic) and the housing bracket would no transfer over to the ITT switch easily, So.... I did some surgery... swapped out the plastic assembly for the aluminum assembly and get the line 3 button fixed, as well as being able to fasten down the housing brackets. after getting all the parts reassembled and secured, I was able to mount and wire the switch. Looking forward to having a newer line switch for my 212!
John

Key2871

So did you just swap the keys with each other?
I don't understand why you had to perform surgery on the key. Both are interchangeable with no modification.
KEN

Babybearjs

the ITT 636 is made of plastic, and the screws that hold the button assembly to the terminal strip are too short. because the units are pretty much identical, I was able just to trade out parts and put the unit back together. I prefer the WE version of this switch because of the metal housing. Plus, the screws were longer and were machine thread as apposed to course thread. you would have to examine both versions up close to see what I'm talking about... After I got it all wired I wanted the bell on the 684 subset to be on line 1 only. so I had to use the extra pairs in the CAT5e cable to set that up. found that the capacitor was bad, so I had to replace that. got it up and running right now. the phone in my carport has all 4 lines and the intercom. the ringer is on a cut-off switch inside the house so I can turn the bell on or off as needed!
John

Key2871

Oh OK I get ya, the western is better built in my opinion, I came across some LED units but found that the line switches were very noisy. So I changed out the LEd unit's and just went with the lamp units, much better quality.
I had even tried cleaning the contacts on those but they were still prone to being noisy.
KEN

Babybearjs

thank goodness the parts are all interchangeable! was able to repair the broken line with no problem!
John

Babybearjs

.... and now, for some good news! ITS ALIVE!!!! I have FINALLY gotten the system back up and running like it was before the remodel! just a bit more tweaking and its done. going to work in getting power to the outlets in the closet next! had to do some tweaking on the alarm cabinet... got my pairs reversed and screwed up my indicator light readout... finally got that fixed and now all stations on the intercom have a lamp associated with them on the alarm panel. going to order 2 more 50 Ft pieces of 25 pair cable and get the porch phone wired and hopefully the dinette phone. then its just the kitchen, bedroom and shed to work on..... it looks like this project may be done by August! ahead of schedule!
John

Babybearjs

well..... here we are at the end of May and These are the Before and After photos of my project. all the ICM station indicator lights are back on and the incoming signal indicator lamps are wired up... and the ICM Stand-by lamp is back on... all I have left to do is to wire the power and then the individual Stations. (4-9) I have 2, 3, and 6B (the bathroom) wired up and fully functional. I added an Internet Jack to the porch, so when I use my laptop, if the wireless won't work, I can plug-in with a regular cable. (faster Connection) so... here's to a speedy remodel... YA!!! :) :)
John