News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson Yellow SC1543 Missing Hook Switch Part

Started by LarryInMichigan, June 19, 2013, 04:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just received this phone: ebay link.  It is an early SC1543 with a soft plastic shell.  The handset is some sort of hard very heavy plastic which appears to be yellow through.  The bezel is clear plastic which is back-painted.  The shell needs some sanding and polishing, but the biggest problem is that a critical piece is missing from the hook switch assembly.  The part which is supposed to separate the contacts when the hook is down is missing.  The phone is therefore always off hook.  I could probably steal the missing part from one of my other SC1543s, but they are all in working condition, so I don't want to wreck any of them.  Does anyone here have a spare part or hook switch assembly or know how I could improvise a replacement?

Thank You

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Here are pictures of the missing part borrowed from another SC1543.  I sent these pictures to the seller just in case he may have the missing part lying around.  This phone also needs a yellow line cord.  Does anyone here have a spare?

Thank You

Larry

HarrySmith

You could probably use one from any old WE hookswitch with a little modification ::)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

The WE hook switches are much different.  I thought for a moment that I could get the part from a spare SC1553, which is a wall phone, but its hook switch is much different. 

Larry

AE40FAN

Larry awesome score on that for the price!! I'm envious! :'(

MDK

You might try fabricating one from a piece of printed circuit board. They are fairly sturdy and are relatively easy to shape.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: MDK on June 20, 2013, 03:52:19 PM
You might try fabricating one from a piece of printed circuit board. They are fairly sturdy and are relatively easy to shape.

I was thinking about trying to make a part from plastic, but either way, cutting it to the right shape will be a big challenge.  I do not have the proper tools, whatever they are.

Larry

AE40FAN

Or, you can buy a 3D printer for 1500 dollars and fabricate one out of plastic ;)

Jim Stettler

Larry,
Buy a junker parts phone, you should be able to get 1 cheap, and then you have some spare parts and maybe a cracked or dull housing and handset to practice repairs and buffing.
I do have a lot of parts phones, I checked to see if the SC's were within view and they aren't,  I have more banker's boxes of phones than WE Ben has phones and the stacks are protected by payphones  which makes it hard to move boxes without it becoming a project.
I don't expect to "dig the stacks" anytime soon.

Jim

On a related note I did find my light grey SC 1543 that I bought in KS for $30.00 or $35.00.

JMO,
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE40FAN

I'll look to see if I actually still have an old parts phone...I just might.  I'll have to do some digging.

LarryInMichigan

I have bought plenty of junk phones for parts: WE 500s, 302s, AE40s, an SC1553, and others, but so for no junk 1543s. All of my 1543s are too good to be raided for parts.

Thank you for your efforts.

Larry

poplar1

We have some black 1543 junkers if anyone needs parts. Mostly frequency ringers in the ones I have checked so far.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: poplar1 on June 21, 2013, 07:49:33 PM
We have some black 1543 junkers if anyone needs parts. Mostly frequency ringers in the ones I have checked so far.

I would greatly appreciate a replacement hook switch part.

Thank You

Larry

AE40FAN

Larry, I have a 1573 that I tried harvesting that part for you.  However, I am not sure I see that part you are looking for?  My hookswitch is all metal?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE40FAN on June 23, 2013, 09:56:29 PM
Larry, I have a 1573 that I tried harvesting that part for you.  However, I am not sure I see that part you are looking for?  My hookswitch is all metal?

I don't know if the hook switch is the same on a 1573 or not.  I have never seen one in person.  I do know that the hook switch on a 1553 is different.

Thank You

Larry