News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The 1C2 Project

Started by Yogisd1, September 05, 2012, 06:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogisd1

I recently came across a WE 1C2. It cost me nothing so I decided to try and restore it. This is my first attempt at anything like this, but I've learned much very quickly. I've been able to find everything I've needed so far, except for a 1A totalizer. I've been to every website I could find (even ebay) with no luck. I would rather not change the 31A chassis because I'd like to keep it as close to original as possible, and I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum. (Spent 54.00 so far.) I hope this isn't one of those parts that takes forever to find, and when you do, it cost you an arm and a fin. Any suggestions?

DavePEI

Quote from: Yogisd1 on September 05, 2012, 06:38:47 PM
I recently came across a WE 1C2. It cost me nothing so I decided to try and restore it. This is my first attempt at anything like this, but I've learned much very quickly. I've been able to find everything I've needed so far, except for a 1A totalizer. I've been to every website I could find (even ebay) with no luck. I would rather not change the 31A chassis because I'd like to keep it as close to original as possible, and I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum. (Spent 54.00 so far.) I hope this isn't one of those parts that takes forever to find, and when you do, it cost you an arm and a fin. Any suggestions?
Should work on a 1A too...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6458.0

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Yogisd1

Thank you. I had read that before, but I am trying to get it as original as possible. It's wired for DTF and would appear to be in working order, except for the totalizer. I do appreciate the info, thanks.

DavePEI

Quote from: Yogisd1 on September 06, 2012, 02:18:07 AM
Thank you. I had read that before, but I am trying to get it as original as possible. It's wired for DTF and would appear to be in working order, except for the totalizer. I do appreciate the info, thanks.
You are missing the point, though... You wire it like that until you have a totalizer - it is easy to remove the jumper and return it to normal operation. All you do is buy  a blank plug and add a jumper. Plug it in. When you have a totalizer, remove that plug, throw it in a parts bin, and plug in the totalizer. That way, you can have a working phone until you do find a totalizer. As you say, they are very hard to find.This is a work-around for the mean time.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Yogisd1

Sorry about that, I did miss your point. So those little jewels are hard to come by. I knew there would be something about this project that would make it a little more difficult (but not impossible) to complete. Thanks for educating me as to the intent of your reply, it gives me more confidence about the information and advice I may get on these boards. (if I can comprehend it.) I do appreciate your help.

DavePEI

They are worth fixing up, and do make a great display. The nice thing about them is they (and their Automatic Electric Equivalents) will work with any line without special equipment. I have several of them operating on a Panasonic KSU.

(left) Western Electric 1D2, and (right) An Automatic Electric GTE 120B
C*NET 1-651-0001

Yogisd1

In keeping with the idea that all posts about a given phone should be in the same thread, I changed the name of this thread to The 1C2 Project. The new question I have is: I have a 31A chassis in the phone. If I change to a 32C board, do I need to run a polarity guard?

AE_Collector

Quote from: Yogisd1 on September 18, 2012, 11:02:10 PM
In keeping with the idea that all posts about a given phone should be in the same thread, I changed the name of this thread to The 1C2 Project.

Nice Going! I like it :)

Terry

Yogisd1

I finally got all the parts and got it all together. I decided to go with the 32C board instead of waiting for a part I may never find, or could not afford. (The 1A totalizer for the 31A board.) Here are a few "before and after" pics. All I need to do now is see if any of my friends have a regular phone line so I can test it.