News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green 191G Pay Phone

Started by poplar1, September 19, 2012, 06:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Here's a photo of an early green WE pay phone, model 191G. (The 191G has no coin release button or pull-out coin return.) I never saw any other than black. The handset however is a G-type which would not have fit without also updating the hook.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on September 19, 2012, 06:50:26 AM
Here's a photo of an early green WE pay phone, model 191G. (The 191G has no coin release button or pull-out coin return.) I never saw any other than black. The handset however is a G-type which would not have fit without also updating the hook.
Hi David:

Like this phone, also the first time I have seen one in green. I also like the shelf you have it on. It is really nice seeing when someone has anything new and unusual  (even when it isn't in your own collections) Too many payphones here, anyway! If I got more, I'd have to put an addition on the museum. Just kidding. Still have part of one room and the whole upstairs to fill.

Anyway, nice find!

T'other Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

Dave, it's not mine. Saw it on ebay today Item # 160885727569. I wasn't sure of the protocol about discussing current ebay items.  Not sure why it matters other than a buy it now item since anyone can still bid.

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on September 19, 2012, 08:24:30 AM
Dave, it's not mine. Saw it on ebay today Item # 160885727569. I wasn't sure of the protocol about discussing current ebay items.  Not sure why it matters other than a buy it now item since anyone can still bid.
Looking at it, I suspect it had been painted, and started out life black, same as I did with my QSD-3A : http://www.islandregister.com/phones/qsd3a.html

Repaint, and new dial surround. The reason I suspect this, is I find it unusual the top card holder matches the body of the phone.

But, it sure looks great!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

ESalter

Maybe it's just my eyes or screen, but I believe I see green paint overspray on the front and side edges of the 3 slot coin guide on the top.  *I'm sure there's a more correct term for that part, but I can't think of it for the life of me*  I also think this one was repainted.  The finish looks way too uniform to me for being on a payphone.  Also, I believe that is a GTE enclosure, maybe someone knows for sure.  The last time I was at the hospital in Morrison, IL(a couple years ago) they still had one of those enclosures mounted in a cutout in the wall with a beige GTE single slot in it.

---Eric

poplar1

The booth says ADCO (Acoustic Development Corporation), Park Ridge, IL. Model 20. I don't know whether Bell also purchased from them.

Thanks to Eric's observation, I do now worry that the phone isn't original color---looking at the daisy number plate the green doesn't look like it was done with a steady hand. The number card (phone number 644 from a place called GOSHEN) also looks older than the phone.

Sorry for the probably false lead. If we could see photos of the inside we could see whether the model number is stamped on top of the paint or painted over.

There are, however,  191Gs that have been updated (the ones I have seen were from Chicago area) by removing the 101B induction coil, updating to a single coil relay, and adding a chrome hook and G-type handset. I can't recall whether they kept the old Upper Housing with no coin release or changed this to a 233/234G-style upper housing . They then required the same 685A subset that 233Gs used.