News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

my first phone... 233G

Started by brassell, December 06, 2012, 07:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brassell

Hello all, found a233G for my basement, will have it displayed with some signage, once i find a good sign. But i have a couple questions.

I don't have keys, so i took the screws out of the back and opened it up. I found a few items thatstand out and the is really saying something, since i have never seen the inside of a phone before.

There seems to be a piece of string on what i think is the con counter. Also someone has installed a serial plug like you would find on an older computer. Check out the photos.

rdelius

The string holds the coin hopper open so the coins drop through. The connector should have a mateing connector in the upper housing these would have to be connected for the telephone to work. Your set might have an upper housing from another set .233sets did not have this connector when factory wired.
There might be a network installed somewhere in the set to make it function.Additional photos would help. Locks and keys can be bought.

AE_Collector

As Robby says, the string is a modification for home use so coins drop through either to the coin vault area or into the coin return area.

Terry

poplar1

Robby is correct: the upper housing (with the coin chute and dial) is from a 233G and the back is a 236G as marked. Fortunately, the part was converted from a 233G to a 236G still has  the transfer contacts (now covered with black tape) that connect to the contacts of the upper housing when the phone is installed. So you can make this work either by:

Finding the parts to convert the upper housing from the current 233G style to a 236G style  (adding a network and 9-pin plug and cord)

OR

Reusing the original transfer contacts and rewiring the phone as a 233G. In that case you will still need a network or a subset to complete the talk circuit.

The previous owner may have had 2 or more pay phones and inadvertanly swapped the upper housings.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

brassell

which would be easier and or cheaper?  I would like to get it up and running, but it is not imperative. Also, the quarter is always returned and the dimes and nickels stay inside.  Is this normal?

poplar1

The 10-H or 10-G  lock in the upper housing takes a 10-G key. Repro keys are available at a reasonable price.

The lock for the door has a serial number because each one is different. 30-C Locks with keys are available (the vault door locks from later Western Electric pay phones are backwards compatible with the door on your phone) or you can send the lock to have a key made.

brassell

found a G key,,  is it really $20.00?  seems a little steep.

poplar1

Are the dimes and nickels getting stuck in the coin chute? They are supposed to hit the bell as they travel through the chute then fall into the relay. There may be some stuck coins. Or are they getting stuck in the relay?

If you can find a 9-pin plug it would be possible to put the network in the upper housing (236G style setup). There are not enough transfer contacts otherwise.

So if you use the transfer contacts (233G style setup),  the network would either have to be external to the phone or installed where the relay is. It is perhaps more justifiable to install the network in place of the relay when the relay is already missing (most of the time it is missing). Subsets are more expensive than just a network  but would look more authentic than just an external network.

Perhaps someone here has a 4010 network (used in early 702B Princess phones) as well as the bracket and  the cord and plug. The pay phones sold in AT&T phone stores as decorator phones had these parts.

One installer/repairman told me the techs really liked the 236Gs better than 233Gs because they were so much easier to install since no subset was needed.

poplar1

No, $20 is too high unless it is an original. Does anyone know what Paul Vavarchak charges?

brassell

Anyone in here from around the Kansas Missouri line?  I live in Kansas City and would like to see what it would cost to have an expert run through this and do it right.
The outside is fine, no need for major overhaul.  Just get'er running.

brassell

The coins flow through to the coin vault, so that is good.  
Should I take from this my relay is missing?
Would Radio Shack have a 9 pin plug?  if not, I bet i can find one with a little searching, but I need some guidance on which way to go.  I dont mind putting a little money in this project, but the most important thing is time.  I have kiddo's and try to spend most of my free time that way....  

I really appreciate your help,  Thanks

brassell

Here are some additional photos   there are two locks on the front, what is the round one for? doesn't seem to go anywhere inside..

brassell

More

poplar1

The coin relay is the thing with a piece of string someone added. The round lock was for added security. That lock originally connected to a threaded rod that went from the outside back of the phone.