News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual Bell Logo

Started by Fabius, March 08, 2016, 11:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Saw this 1939 Bell logo with the word SERVICE on the bell instead of BELL SYSTEM on a Cincinnati and Suburban Bell Telephone 1949-1950 telephone book. Thought that was unusual for a Bell System company to use that wording.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Ktownphoneco

Yes, it's unusual to see that wording inside the "Bell".       However it was used, but only for a brief time period I think.     Here's a small picture of the various Bell logos used by the Bell Telephone Company of Canada ( Bell Canada ) over the years.       According to this chart, the word "service" was used in 1947.

Jeff Lamb

I have a couple of Canadian Blue Books with that logo on them.

Doug

Jim Stettler

I have a repro sign with that logo.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Fabius

I knew it was used by Bell Telephone of Canada but don't recall seeing it used by a Bell System company.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Ktownphoneco

It's definitely not a common logo.       By the way, Bell Canada was a Bell System Company until 1975, as was Northern Electric.

Jeff

Fabius

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on March 08, 2016, 10:53:27 PM
It's definitely not a common logo.       By the way, Bell Canada was a Bell System Company until 1975, as was Northern Electric.

Jeff

I don't believe Bell Telephone of Canada and Northern Electric, while for a time controlled by AT&T and Western Electric. where not actually part of the Bell System.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Ktownphoneco

The Bell Telephone Company of Canada, later called Bell Canada, and Northern Electric were both Bell System companies.      Bell Canada from 1880 to 1975.     AT&T owned 2% of the shares in Bell Canada.        Western Electric owned approximately 45% or 46% of Northern Electric,.    Bell Canada held the remaining shares in Northern.

Jeff

Fabius

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on March 08, 2016, 11:15:16 PM
The Bell Telephone Company of Canada, later called Bell Canada, and Northern Electric were both Bell System companies.      Bell Canada from 1880 to 1975.     AT&T owned 2% of the shares in Bell Canada.        Western Electric owned approximately 45% or 46% of Northern Electric,.    Bell Canada held the remaining shares in Northern.

Jeff

The only site I have found so far that actually states BTC was a member of the Bell System is Wikipedia. And as is often the cause with Wikipedia there is no citation provided backing that statement up. The Wikipedia BTC site does state AT&T owned 39% of BTC. For this fact they do provide a citation.

I need to do more research and find reliable information on this. At the very least I'm learning a lot about BTC history.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905