News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 and Strowger 11 digit weekend finds

Started by Mike C, June 08, 2014, 08:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike C

I had some good luck this weekend and was able to find two more phones for the collection. I found a second AE 40 with the chrome trim yesterday and today found a Strowger 11 digit. The Strowger was pretty dirty but polished up quite nice. From reading other threads I think the grim doorbell mounted on the side was to convert it to an intercom.

Gilas

Amazing find.  Would love to own a Strowger someday

Mike C

I saw another one on an Ebay completed listing with the same type of button, but mounted on the front. Do you think this an addition that should be removed, or would it be best to keep it as part of the phone's history?

LarryInMichigan

Personally, I would remove the doorbell additions and try to restore the its original condition as much as reasonably possible.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 09, 2014, 05:32:27 PM
Personally, I would remove the doorbell additions and try to restore the its original condition as much as reasonably possible.

Larry
Don't forget the transformer sitting in the inside in the middle. It was used to power the ring from the button to another phone after it was converted for interccom use. Neither are original to the phone.

The button and transformer was a popular conversion used by people who used two of them as intercoms.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Here is a replacement dial face. Tremendous find. Clean it up and display it in your collection. Tis a beauty!!!,,,Doug

http://tinyurl.com/ml2glo8
Kidphone

AE40FAN

Great finds!  Did you get them for a reasonable price?

Mike C

Thanks for the dial overlay link Doug...I'll have to pick one up. The AE 40 was a good buy at $50 I thought even though I already have one, but the chrome bands were a good part. The Strowger cost $200 which blew the rest of the weekend antique budget. It was a neat find though. I was a bit dissapointed in missing a walnut AE 34 that one of the dealers had, but I'll keep looking  :)

Mike C

The one that got away  :(

LarryInMichigan

$200 for the Strowger phone was a steal.  This definitely should be a FOTM candidate.

Larry

AE40FAN

How much did that Walnut AE34 go for?!   

Mike C

It was $100, and I've been looking for an AE 34 for a bit so I was kind of bummed out. Here's the link.
http://members.shaw.ca/mrhuen/telephones.htm
But I've been pretty lucky finding some nice phones that didn't break the budget so I guess I shouldn't complain  ;)

AE40FAN

Only 100!!  Was it a flea market you went to? 

Mike C

The two I got last weekend were from the flea markets, but the missed AE 34 was from one of our local antique dealers who has a shop at the above link. I had just seen the AE 34 listed on one of his Kijiji ads and then checked his webpage...and then frantically called to see if it was still available, but it had sold  ;) I'll have to ask how much his Strowger candlestick went for next time we visit too.