News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first AE40

Started by Volvoguy, June 16, 2014, 01:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volvoguy

Picked this up on craigslist today for $20. Got it from a real estate agent who had it for the past twenty years as a office decoration. Sold it to me saying "i hear you can get this working again if you change the plug on the end."  It's in great shape, but needs a good clean. Haven't opened it up or plugged it in yet. Thought I'd share it here first. Never had a 40 before, so this is all new territory. Any bits of advice is great. I did read that the gasket on the bottom dries out and cracks? This one seems like it was made yesterday. Anyways here's some pictures, and I'll just wait for Terry to chime in!

Fabius

Nice phone. The number plate appears an original one that I haven't seen. Notice the General Telephone logo on the bottom.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AE40FAN

I have quite a few of these phones.  I love them.  That dial plate is one I've never seen before with the word "operator" running straight across instead of being curved.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE40FAN on June 16, 2014, 10:06:50 AM
I have quite a few of these phones.  I love them.  That dial plate is one I've never seen before with the word "operator" running straight across instead of being curved.

The AE40 I am using at this very moment has a plate like that.

Larry

BDM

I have dial plate like that also. Congrats, the AE40 (and early AE80s) are some of the best equipment A.E. manufactured. Love using them and hearing their distinctive ring.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

AE40FAN

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 16, 2014, 10:37:29 AM
Quote from: AE40FAN on June 16, 2014, 10:06:50 AM

The AE40 I am using at this very moment has a plate like that.

Larry

Yeah, I just looked at mine.  They have "operator" running straight across....not sure what I was thinking or smoking;-)

Volvoguy

Thanks for the comments guys!

Quote from: Fabius on June 16, 2014, 09:24:11 AM
Nice phone. The number plate appears an original one that I haven't seen. Notice the General Telephone logo on the bottom.

Do you mean the card in the middle? Do you know if it is removed the same as the early AE80's? Where you have to slide a tiny screwdriver under the ring around the number 5 and slide it down?

Volvoguy

Thanks! That's the method i was trying to explain, but did so poorly! I'm going to take it apart for a clean tonight and see if I can get it all going!