News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Portland Craigslist pays off again!

Started by Greg G., January 13, 2010, 02:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I'm picking these up Wednesday afternoon.  The guy agreed to hold them for me.  I'm glad I have relatives in Vancouver, WA, otherwise I would doubt making the trip.  I asked him about the WE spacesaver receiver, which the ad said is a G1.  He said the handset is as pictured, he just wasn't familiar with the terminology.  Obviously it's an F1.  I call that Signal Corp phone the "poor man's Fat Boy".

He's only a couple miles from Mom.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/clt/1547058267.html ( dead link 04-19-21 )

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

Really nice, The space-saver may not be a design who fits everywhere, but it is really space-saving, and I do not believe it is designed smaller rotary wall telephones before the semiconductors came.

The table top is just beautiful. Probably better ergonomics than most later designs. At least if put the telephone on the table with some distance from you, just because you need the table for writing etc.

Congratulations!

dsk

bingster

Nice finds, Briny!  The "G1" he was seeing is stamped on the body of the phone, so he probably was confused about what you meant by "receiver."  This is a G-mount hanging handset, which replaced the older C-mount hanging handset.
= DARRIN =

ntophones

Beautiful--Brinbay, your collection is really coming along with great looking phones!
--nto

Dan

It begs the question-what's the price, if you do n't mind ;) :-*
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan on January 13, 2010, 05:37:51 PM
It begs the question-what's the price, if you do n't mind ;) :-*

It's in the link to the CL post, he hasn't removed it yet, (as I'm typing) but it was $50 for both of them.  I don't factor in gas because I always couple phone buying trips with a visit to Mom.

Tested the Sig Corp, works except it doesn't ring for incoming.  Dial is a bit stiff, probably just needs a good lube job.

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/Brinybay/Telephones/US%20Army%20Signal%20Corp%20phone/

Haven't tested the WE Space Saver yet because there was no line cord and I don't know which terminal the line cords go.  Of course it isn't going to ring because I don't have a ringer box for it.  Dial rotates and returns ok.
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/Brinybay/Telephones/WE%20Space%20Saver/

He also gave me this gizmo.  He didn't know what it was and I didn't either, he just said it goes with the phones.  Anybody here know?  Yes, I know it's a "Double Impedence Coupler", but what's it used for?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I timed it this time so it was smooth sailing with no I-5 corridor rush hour traffic.  The last time I tried this trip I timed it badly and it turned a 3 hr drive into 5 hours.

Since I was sailing all the way down, I stopped at an antique store at about the halfway mark.  On all my previous trips they either weren't open or I didn't have time.

They had an old desk phone with a wooden crank subset, but it was the type that will not take a dial, it looks the same both sides, with the handset in the middle and I think it had a single switch hook plunger in the middle.  I've seen them before, not sure who the manufacturer is off hand, but I wasn't interested in it anyway.

BUT - Everything was 25% off, so I did come away with several pieces of art, here's one of them:
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The last two times I've been by Mom's with my phone hauls from that area, (actually, three times, she was with me when I acquired the NEC) I think some of the "old phone bug" rubbed off on her, so she asked me for a phone.  Now, how can I resist sweet ol' Ma?  So I asked her what kind of old phone she liked, she just said to pick one.  I know she likes the color red, so I gave her my red WE 500, 62 vintage.  She was tickled over it. 
- Mike Row
e

Dan

Great pick of mom, the coloured quilt and the red phone make a great picture!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

Briny,

Those are nice looking phones.   The dial faces are in remarkably good condition.  Usually the '1' is worn away.

Did you connect the yellow and green wires together on the line cord on the Sig Corp phone?  If not, try doing so, and the ringer will probably work.

The Space Saver phone needs an external subset.  Connecting it to a subset or suitable substitute is probably the same as connecting a WE 202, but someone else here would know more about that.

It's nice to see that you mom appreciates the phone you gave her.  My parents aren't interested in anything more than a few years old and have no appreciation for antiques.  When I told my father a couple of years ago that I was looking for an antique dining room set, he told me that I shouldn't be so cheap and buy a new one instead.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 14, 2010, 10:58:27 AM
Briny,

Did you connect the yellow and green wires together on the line cord on the Sig Corp phone?  If not, try doing so, and the ringer will probably work.
Larry

That worked, thanks.
- Mike Row
e

Dewdrop

Briny,

Congratulations on your new finds. On the Sig Corp, does it have Connecticut Telephone & Electric Meriden, Conn. like my gray one? (posted on Dec. 19)

Debbie
Debbie

Greg G.

Quote from: Dewdrop on January 14, 2010, 06:44:02 PM
Briny,

Congratulations on your new finds. On the Sig Corp, does it have Connecticut Telephone & Electric Meriden, Conn. like my gray one? (posted on Dec. 19)

Debbie

Yes, it does, I forgot to get a shot of the backplate.  One thing I've wondered about these, how come they aren't OD Green like almost everything else they had?

- Mike Row
e

bwanna

a very worthwhile trip, indeed, briny. what a good ma you have to be interested in your hobby. did she make the afaghan?

is that a painting or print of the gal on the phone....not your ma, the one you got at the antique store.
donna

Dennis Markham

Greg, I like the afghan too.  Is that a Rubik's cube pattern?  Nice phones and nice that Mom got her pick of the litter.