and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Red 1955

Started by Doug Rose, January 02, 2010, 08:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Ohhhhhh... I bet you're right, McHeath.   OPW does offer a dark red like that:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/202-deep-red.html

The black cords are odd, but I think you may be on to something.
= DARRIN =

finlover

We'll all have a chance to get to know this phone better--I'm the sucker that bought it!  The paint job has a factory look to me, although the overspray on the wiring IS suspicious.  I wonder if any Continentals were delivered with black cords like this?  Red cloth ones sure would look nicer.  I'll post photos of this baby after I've had my way with it!

finlover

Looking at the photos more carefully, there doesn't appear to be any overspray on the wiring, only on some of the screw terminals.  So at least it wasn't painted with the dial in place.  Also, Polane being a rather thick product, I don't think the D1 lettering would be as crisp.  Oh well, hope springs eternal.  We'll have a better idea when it arrives.

Dennis Markham

Greg, I agree with your analysis on that.  I think it was worth taking a chance.  As I wrote on my posting (above) I have had a couple of these with over spray inside.  I didn't see it on the wires.  And if it's not factory, it looks pretty good.  We all look forward to photos.

Dan

Please post pics, and good luck on your aqua blue 500 auction you have out there currently.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

finlover

Thank you, sir!  As with most of my offerings, the aqua phone is not particularly collectible, but it IS shiny! :)

finlover

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 23, 2010, 10:43:18 AM
Greg, I agree with your analysis on that.  I think it was worth taking a chance.  As I wrote on my posting (above) I have had a couple of these with over spray inside.  I didn't see it on the wires.  And if it's not factory, it looks pretty good.  We all look forward to photos.
Thanks for the encouragement, D!  To me it would seem a bit of a stretch that someone assembled this phone from the correct parts and then painted it to a high standard.  At the very least it will be a nice "re-creation" I guess.