"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got a soft yellow 500!

Started by Dan, May 27, 2010, 08:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Dan:

Where is the blue wire from the dial connected to?   ??? ??? ???

Are green and yellow from the line cord tied together?
Jorge

Dan

She cleaned up nice. The tube is just icing on the cake. A little novus 2  and f-21. The dial didn't even need lubed.

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 04, 2010, 09:16:38 PM
Dan:

Where is the blue wire from the dial connected to?   ??? ??? ???

Are green and yellow from the line cord tied together?

It's on "F' and yes they are
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Doug Rose

Hey Dan...great phone, love the dial card. What is f-21??....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Dan

Thanks Doug! It is Turtle wax F-21 super protectant, you use it on your car dashboard and it provides UV protection (helps with fade). It also shines them up nice.

JorgeAmely

Dan:

I think you have one coil inside the C4A fighting with the other. Reverse stale-red and slate on network positions A and K, as shown here.
Jorge

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Kidphone on June 04, 2010, 09:30:37 PM
... What is f-21??....thanks....Doug

Doug:

It is very similar to Armorall, but Turtle Wax says it will help protect plastics from UV light damage.

However, I like the following version of F-21:
Jorge

Dan

JOrge, I reversed the two wires and the tube  glow pulses still, however no ring yet.

Should I now reverse the red and green L1and L2  line cords?

JorgeAmely

Dan:

Yes, please put red back to L2 and green to L1. Are you on a POTS line, Uverse or VoIP?

Jorge

Dan

I switched them, now I have no ring and no 426A tube light. I have a POTS line (cincinnati bell landline)

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Dan on June 04, 2010, 07:50:27 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 04, 2010, 07:45:59 PM
Dan;
Once you get it working post a photo so I can modify my drawing to show wiring using the 425A network.
D/P

I will and brilliant minds (not mine) will get me there... Don't you mean 425B network?

Jorge I got a new line cord, reversed the wires back to your original configuration, and snapped a photo with the bulb firing. Still no bell ring, but you see it does work here. Cool!

Dan;
Yes the 425B.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Dan:

It seems that the polarity in your house is inverted. Try to rewire the phone back as shown in the Picasa album pictures. Now to compensate for the inverted polarity, connect red and yellow together inside the 283B plug.

I tried that my set and it works.

Jorge

Dan

Ok, I hooked the red and yellow together at the plug end and the green  at L2 and the red of the line cord on L1and it works!It flickers BRIGHTLY  and  rings, a little weakly. I have a lot of phones on my line, so I figure the tube and the ringer use a lot of "juice".

It's funny you recognized a "reverse polarity" issue in my house because I had to switch an early touchtone green and red  because when you hit the touchtone pad, it wouldn't make a sound, but if you switched the green and red, it worked.

I wish to thank you my friend! :D ;) ;D :)

My camera battery just died so I will post a pic for Dan/P tomorrow for a schematic for a 501 with a 426A tube and a 425B network.

Jim Stettler

I would get the polarity correct at the jack and wire the phone "proper".
If you live in area wher the polarity seems to get flipped often you can make a reversing polarity switch.

use a DPDT swith, wire tip and ring on one set of terminals  and reverse the feed on the other. Your house phones go to the center terminals. I like to mount the switch down for normal and up for reversed. (on position for reversed). Years ago they use to flip my polarity pretty often. I had 1 TT phone hooked up at the at the time, I used it for tone menus. It was polarity sensitive.
I originally used a splitter with 2 cords, 1 regular and 1 reversed. I finally put in a switch to keep it pretty.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan

Good advice Jim.

I am taking this one to work. Hopefully my polarity there is right.  I have a candlestick there now on my desk with an old numechron "DIGITAL"  clock. When I get a call I get the beautiful bell sound. It is just not fun to talk on a candlestick, unfortunately.

The yellow desk set  will look cool and my electrician patient will get a kick out of the 426A tube.