"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Do you think its Brown Part III

Started by Doug Rose, October 05, 2010, 01:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Doug:

Awesome recovery. After seen the first picture, I said to myself "There is no way that phone is going to look good again". But you surprised us. You should have warned us about the shiny finish. Now I have a brown phone burned in my retina.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

Doug Rose

Harry/Jorge...thanks for the kind words. I surprised myself on this one. I was talking with Dennis and told him I couldn't believe how easy this was to refurb. Also, it was a lot of fun. No stress, everything was nice and easy. From the picture in the auction to this is a little hard to believe. I had a chance to buy all of them and passed and I thought I was talking a huge gamble with this. Looking back my vision is always 20/20. I guess no one on the Forum was lucky enough to get one of the remaining four. I love refurbing bakelite, it is a breeze....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on October 11, 2010, 11:38:46 AM
Collectors....I got a chance to refurb my Brown Balkelite Galion. It came out better than expected. There were NO chips cracks or missing pieces in this brown beauty. I went with the advice to keep it as is, so I left the WE 5J on it. I did replace the with cloth WE cords on it. This works great but it rings faintly as it is not a SL ringer. I can live with that as I don't want to mess around with it. I put an old Natick dial card, next town over from me and polished it up with Norvus II and some Avon skin so soft. Third time is the charm!...Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120630295915&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I had to go back and look at the original pictures, I couldn't believe it's the same phone!  Bakelite isn't sanded, is that correct?  Just Novus and Avon SSS?  How many applications?  $60 was a bargain in this case.  This was one phone where "Art Deco" could be correctly applied after seeing the "vents" on the backside.

I want one too.  I went back and looked at the sellers other items, apparently the other brown ones are gone, just a black one left.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Doug,
Now that you mention it, I do notice the difference.

Fantastic Job.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Greg...usually I will use fine steel wool on bakelite before the Norvus. BUT...this just had a lot of exposure to cigarette smoke and was dirty. I wiped off the excess dirt and used two applications of Norvus II. Letting it dry and wiping with a cloth. Apply, Dry and wipe again. It was really shiny at that point. I applied the Avon SOS and wiped off the excess 1/2 hour later. Bakelite, being porous, sucks the SOS right in. This is why I love bakelite, it is so resilient. As long as it does chip or crack it is amazing for its surface durability, its the strength of it that comes into question. It can shatter like china if dropped. I am as amazed as anyone on how this came out....Doug

Kidphone

Kenny C

are there any Substitutions for SSS
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

SSS is worth finding... it makes an excellent bug repellent, too.
= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

Quote from: bingster on October 11, 2010, 05:29:43 PM
SSS is worth finding... it makes an excellent bug repellent, too.

Kenny,
Your mom probably knows an Avon Lady. You may even be able to get some sample packs.
Just a thought,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

KeithB

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 11, 2010, 12:24:04 PM
darn, looks awesome ;D
Great job, looks NOS :o
Agreed on both counts, 110%

It's eye-poppingly :o  :o  :o beautiful.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim S. on October 11, 2010, 02:56:50 PM
Doug,
Now that you mention it, I do notice the difference.

Fantastic Job.
Jim
thanks Jim...I do appreciate it....Dpug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: KeithB on October 11, 2010, 06:16:24 PM
Quote from: HarrySmith on October 11, 2010, 12:24:04 PM
darn, looks awesome ;D
Great job, looks NOS :o
Agreed on both counts, 110%

It's eye-poppingly :o  :o  :o beautiful.
After seeing your work on your first payphone, I take that as a huge compliment. I can't wait to see the beige. BUT>>>>This was way too easy, I really can't take any credit. The phone was in working condition. I replaced a cut line cord and the curly handset cord with a cloth cords. I just wiped on Norvus II and wiped it off. Same with the SSS. All in all, 1 hours work, tops. Only thing I am amazed at is my stupidity for not getting them all. This was an amazing find and I had the nearsightedness to only get one. I was there first and didn't react! I did have the opportunity to to get them all. I was asked again by the seller more than once. The more I look at this, the more I kick my arse. Hindsight is always 20/20....Doug
Kidphone

finlover

Don't worry, Doug, Skin So Soft is great for soothing kicked arses! ;D   Amazing phone and an expert restoration--I'd KILL for one of those!!

Kenny C

Quote from: finlover on October 11, 2010, 07:01:22 PM
I'd KILL for one of those!!

Me too but nothing big something like a potatoe  ;)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

deedubya3800

SSS is wonderful, and I love the smell. :)

<accent=kiwi> Whiah ken I find Naruvus 2 in my neighbourhood? </accent>