News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 Sheild 39A Coil With a Sheilded Condenser

Started by Doug Rose, January 09, 2016, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this in a old Metal 302, 4/39 on base...empty except for these parts. Bottom base is marked 303C. These are shielded....from what??

Condenser has an extra red stripped connector

Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I think these were out of a 400 series sets to keep out inductive noise from other lines

TelePlay

paul-f's site says this of the 303:

"For use at a Key Station - 1A key telephone system wiring plans. 4-conductor mounting cord to separate ringer and talking circuits. 101A coil, B1A ringer. The H1 mounting is modified to prevent crosstalk.  Induction coil equipped with 39A shield."

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm

paul-f

True.  The same shielding is needed on this set as on the 400 series keysets, since the voice circuit and ringer can be associated with different phone lines -- usually due to an external key.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

thanks guys....no external key and not a complete set....Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

save these parts if you aren't restoring a phone right away. that way, if you come across a 400 series phone that needs parts, you'll have them.
John

G-Man

The 303-type set is essentially the same as a 302-instrument.

The differences that set them apart are the 303's induction-coil shield, a shield-wire attached to the 195-type condenser's case and the four-conductor cord. The talking circuit is wired to the red and green conductors and the ringer, to the black and yellow.

While the set was typically connected to a wiring plan or external key, if someone wanted to connect it to a standard pots-line, they could rewire ringer inside of the set, or without even opening the set, simply bridge the black and yellow leads across red and green at the connecting block located on the wall.

If you replace the missing components with those from a 302, you will fill a gap in your collection with an instrument that is probably even more scarce than a 400-type keyset.

zaphod01

Sometimes the kid in me comes out and I buy something just because it looks 'cool'. I bought a 39A shield to go in the 302 base I use as a testing subset in my shop. I know it serves no purpose but somehow it makes me happy ever time I see it. I guess I'm just easily amused in my old age...
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart