News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Type 520

Started by Mark Stevens, September 18, 2008, 04:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Stevens

Any of y'all (that's Texan) got one of these?!  Apparently W.E.'s type 520 was intended for use in mines, which might make one believe them to be rare, but this is the 3rd or 4th one I've seen on eBay in the past three months!  Actually I'd like to have one, just because it's round.  It runs out in about 5 hours, and is up to $66.
W.E. Type 520
( dead link 11-28-21 )

Dennis Markham

I have seen them before too Mark.  I think some I've seen were older ones.  That rotary dial mechanism appears to be mid to late 1960's.  That is one heavy telephone.  Don't drop it on your toe!

BDM

These are explosion proof phones and used anywhere it was needed for that purpose. They've also been used where severe duty phones are required. So, they pop up from time to time. They're not common, but I wouldn't call them rare either. Friend has one, and it is indeed heavy. He had it mounted in his garage for years with a 10' receiver cord if memory serves me correctly.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

I I really really want one.  If anyone comes across a 520 and doesn't want it for themselves please let me know. :)

BDM

Find one with a cord like my buds. Dragging the ground like a dead snail. I'm sitting here re-reading. I don't believe I ever seen a cord as long as the one he had. 10' might be a stretch, but I know it hit 10' easy stretched out ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

We had those phones in the plant I worked at in the late 60's. Explosion proof.
Not really explosion proof, it just means it won't spark.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson