News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Loudaphone Ship Intercom

Started by dsk, February 04, 2017, 03:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

This one is pretty special, the transmitter has 3 wires!
It is a heavy handset made of cast zink/aluminum in man parts.
The ringing signal is a howler and it has DC signalling.  Not sure about the battery voltage, but it howls well at 6V.

dsk

Phonesrfun

In the diagram, the transmitter and receiver just seem to be going in circles.  Only one connection?  Or, am I missing something?
-Bill G

dsk

Yes! The diagram is strange,but drawn after measuring the circuitry.
If we connect 2 units like in this diagram you will call the other party by pressing the button "Call". The buzzer will buzz with no hence of hook sw. position, and the buzz will be heard in the receiver too.
The voice path; the transmitter will energize the induction coil, and the lower winding (secondary) will send the voice signal trough the DC isolating capacitor from terminal S to the other party's terminal R trough receiver, via the battery and back to the induction coil.
Since a large ship battery has almost no resistance, and the wires are thick, it will be almost no sidetone at all.

The coil in series with the buzzer will have high resistance for the voice, but let trough the DC for the buzzer.

dsk

Phonesrfun

Thanks for the clarification.  With connecting two sets together as shown, it now makes more sense.
-Bill G

dsk

I hope I have figured it out the right way, still pretty strange, but in a noisy environment it could be smart.

dsk