News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage Turret Traders Phone

Started by Doug Rose, September 22, 2012, 08:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I worked on this for about four hours this rainy morning, no yard sales. I am very happy with it. Not perfect, but way better that it was. Nice AE Type 38 handset with an original cord was added. Many hours of rubbong brasso with a cloth to remove a coat of paint and years of grime. Wet sanded in places. I thought this was all rusted out from the photos, but there is NO rust at all. 6E3 WE dial. I just replaced the finger wheel as the original was bent out of shape. Temporary window screen until I can find something better. Knob on left I am guessing adjusted the volume of the speaker. Button on the left, talk back?? I am not sure. I have never seen anything quite like this. I am please with the outcome....Doug
Kidphone

RotarDad

Just awesome job, Doug!!   And a nice, unique item for your collection!   There can't be too many of those that survived....  However, your Winter project is now done and Fall just started.......  I'm guessing you still have a few projects to work on..... ;)
Paul

Doug Rose

Paul...just a Few Projects  ::) I went downstairs this morning and it was sitting on my work bench and instead of moving it, I started. It was a labor of love as I never thought it would even closely resemble the final phone. It is now residing in my phone room. I has to take a phone out, now I am debating the correct one to leave....thanks for the kind words...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Wow Doug! Can I have it! :)

I'm wondering if that is an induction coil handset. Stub?

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_collector on September 29, 2012, 05:34:02 PM
Wow Doug! Can I have it! :)

I'm wondering if that is an induction coil handset. Stub?
it is...that's why I asked you if it was a Type 38 as I get confused with the AEs. I have another in mint condition...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Awesome Doug!  That's a beautiful phone.  Nice job bringing it back to life.  I was thinking the same thing as RotarDad.....there goes your winter project.  There's always another one though (project).

Doug Rose

thanks Dennis....I had taken a few swipes with a rag and brasso when it came and felt this would never last until winter. I went down to the the dungeon this morning and it was calling me. What could I do? I have never seen anything like it which makes it so desirable to me. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would look like this when I was finished. Brasso, wet sandpaper and ton of elbow grease. Why this was sprayed black I'll never know. Slow process to remove the "new" paint but it was original shiny black paint underneath. I think the "new" coat just protected the original finish. I am very satisfied....Doug
Kidphone

cihensley@aol.com

What a change Doug. Beautiful job.

Chuck

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 29, 2012, 06:20:06 PM
it is...that's why I asked you if it was a Type 38 as I get confused with the AEs. I have another in mint condition...Doug

I know what the problem was here. These are the handsets from your AE-4 / Intercom's that got busted in shipment.

There was never a picture of the handsets in that thread. I meant that this type of phone would have come with the type 38 handsets rather than the type 41 handsets.

From the pictures on the ebaY listing I can't see that there is an induction coil in the phone case so an induction coil handset may be the proper handset choice for this phone.

Terry

stub

Doug,
          Sweeet!!!!!!! Great job!!!!!!!!!!! I saw it also but couldn't figure out what it was, and still don't have a clue .
          All the AE #3 and 13's, that I have seen, have one dial hole in the center of the front cover. More pics of the insides might tell the rest of the story! Could be a converted 21 case or a manual wall #16 with holes added for the dial and speaker. AE put the induction coil receiver in the regular # 38 handset also in 1929 so I guess either one could be correct.
          The handset pictured is a 32A14 ( Catalog 4055 ,1934 , pg. 14)  P S Could you please post a pic of the transmitter of the intercom handsets also.
            Doug ,you made it look so good, I wish I had bid on too!!!!!!!!!!        stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Kidphone

FABphones

Cute.  :)

Bidding currently at $40. 8 bids so far.

Seller screenshots:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

this is not an easy phone to find. I found mine 8 years ago and have never seen another.

Handset is wrong, it is a Leich, otherwise looks solid and ready for refurb...good luck...Doug
Kidphone