News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 49/500 distribution.

Started by Dan/Panther, February 27, 2009, 02:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

If you are looking to find a 49/500, where would be the most likely region to find one ?
Did they distribute them in large cities, or spread them out all over equally. Any information on distribution ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

I think it was New York and Chicago and primarily to business customers for "beta" testing or some sort of trial.  That's what I recall reading on a phone site or two out there.

Since there seems to be no evidence of a '49 500 still in existence (or am I wrong about that?) maybe they pulled them all after the trials and officially re-issued them as 50's or something.  Has anyone even seen a 500 component of any kind with a '49 date on it?  It seems to me that anyone who owns a '49 500 and knows what they have would have found their way to this site by now and shared the news.  I'm skeptical that there is such a thing out there and if there are any, the numbers are very few.  Since the '49 sets were under scrutiny by Ma Bell and WE, I'll bet every last one of them was accounted for when the trial period ended.  Quite the opposite situation of 500's being scattered all over creation well into the 1980's and Ma Bell losing track of things.

Ralph
Ralph

Dan/Panther

Ralph;
I will have to agree with you.
I challenge anyone to prove or show a photo of a WE-500 component dated 1949..
D/P

BDM

I posted this very question to the TCI list server. We'll see.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

I look forward to the replies as this has been something of great interest to me.  Here and there are rumors of someone having a 49' model 500, but I'd like to see some hard proof that one still exists in it's natural state.

BDM

Quote from: McHeath on February 27, 2009, 08:57:37 PM
I look forward to the replies as this has been something of great interest to me.  Here and there are rumors of someone having a 49' model 500, but I'd like to see some hard proof that one still exists in it's natural state.

One member has replied that he owns a 49 dated model. Paul-F has stated he would be happy to put 48/49 model pics on his website if anyone would offer pics. Apparently, there were 400 produced in 48 for testing, and about 4000 for 49.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Does anybody have the book he mentioned?  "I have one, it's in a book" isn't a very satisfying answer.  I want to see the thing.
= DARRIN =

Steve

I think I read somewhere that the early models had issues with the networks? maybe there was a "recall" and they were all removed from service and replaced with the improved models?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan/Panther

Ralph;
I tend to agree that they were pulled from service, and then torn apart for testing.
If and that's a big if, any survived, that number would be VERY FEW, maybe a handfull at best.
Being born in 1949, it hurts me to say, I think none will ever be here for us to see....
D/P

BDM

Quote from: bingster on February 28, 2009, 09:33:55 AM
Does anybody have the book he mentioned?  "I have one, it's in a book" isn't a very satisfying answer.  I want to see the thing.

I emailed him and asked for a pick. He never emailed me back, so I consider that a dead end. Notice even Paul-F came out asking for proof, and he'd make a separate web page dedicated to it, more or less.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

JimH

There was a very early 500 on ebay about two years ago...it had the dial ring with "operator" in a semi-circle around the "zero".  This to me would indicate an early model or prototype.  If I remember right, it went for nearly $1000.  I saved the pic from ebay:
Jim H.

Dan

Thank looks like the real McCoy! It's sad someone knew it was an oldie. The fun for me is not only to get one, but to get it cheap! That's why yard sale season and thrift stores are my first places to go.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

From what I understand that dial bezel with the word operator in the semi-circle under the 0 could be from 1950 as well from 49'.  Do you recall what year the seller claimed the phone was JimH?  Paul F has pic on his site that show what appears to be a 48' model 500 and 49' model 500, but they are time period pics and not something someone has at home someplace. 

I too remain unconvinced that any actual 1949 model 500s remain.  Guess the proof will be in seeing.

BDM

Man, if I could run across four of those in a box at some fleabag market. My collections health would improve dramatically after I kept one, and sold three ;) ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Here is a photo from Life Magazine of Dreyfuss and Martin with the 500, taken in November 1949:

http://tinyurl.com/ceam44