News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone Test Equipment: How to "Phone Myself"?

Started by HobieSport, November 20, 2008, 02:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Is there an affordable contraption out there that would enable me to plug in two phones so that I could have one phone call the other, to test the ringers and transmitters and receivers?

The reason I ask is because our house has only one line, and I don't have a cell phone.  Sure I could have a local friend phone me but that would get old for them really fast, as I have lots of phones to test.

Could one build such a contraption from Radio Shack parts?

McHeath

You don't have a cell phone?  My hats off to you sir.

bingster

It may not be of much help, but I remember when I was a kid, we had a method of ringing back our own phones by dialing a code, then our phone number, then quickly hanging up.  I suspect that what we were actually doing was calling the local test desk and ordering a ringback, but I'm not sure.  At any rate, if you know anybody who works for the phone company, you might be able to get the test desk code for a ringback.  I'm assuming, of course, that test desks still exist.

You might also think about picking up an old magneto subset.  You could disconnect the subset's bells, and use it as a sort of test rig.  Hooking the telephone up to the subset and winding the crank would send a ringing voltage (90V)  through the phone causing it to ring. These subsets (and the magneto assemblies, by themselves) are common on ebay, and are often very inexpensive.

As for ringing a phone from another on the same line... I can't see any way for that to happen with standard telephones.
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Cell phones simply don't work at my home.

Quote from: bingster
It may not be of much help, but I remember when I was a kid...

Thanks Bingster, it IS a help.

Sargeguy

I just wait for the telemarketers to call, they do so every 5-10 minutes or so. :P
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

Sarge, do you mean telemarketers actually have a useful purpose?  ;D

But seriously, here is what I think I'm looking for:

http://proctorinc.com/49250.htm

McHeath

That's pretty nifty.  But it seems to cost a ton, am I reading the price page right and seeing that it costs over 300 bucks?

HobieSport

Yes, it's way out of my price range but I'm checking with OPW for a better price.  They have a four line demonstrator listed for $200.  Still very pricey and the features may be overkill.  I wish I knew how to build my own simpler version.

Dennis Markham

A while back I bought a used Panasonic PBX.  One can connect up to 16 lines with this model.  The phone line can plug into the input and if all 16 phones are plugged in they will each ring each time an in-coming call is received.  One can also dial one phone from the other.  An outside line can be accessed by dialing 9 first.  The model I have is a Panasonic Model 308 Easa-Phone.  It wasn't that expensive, under $100 with shipping.  I see them on eBay from time to time. 

So if you want to plug in a phone to test, just connect it to port #2, plug another in to port #1 and dial 2.  Bingo, the phone rings.  Works real well.

Dennis

HobieSport

Thanks Dennis, a Panasonic PBX sounds perfect.  I just found one on Ebay, guaranteed working on arrival for $97. including shipping. -Matt