"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 8 - Western Electric 302 in blue thermoplastic

Started by bingster, October 23, 2008, 06:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

I just got this reply:

"as far as i know it is molded into plastic. i am out of town till the 28th or 29th. thanks joey"

The plot thickens.  Joey could just be a nice guy selling a phone, and his short replies are likely because he's texting on his cell phone.

Dennis, it would be interesting to ask your collector buddy in Calif if it could be an original factory painted bakalite handset to match an unpainted housing.   

Gosh I'm glad I only like black phones... ;D  But this is fun too. :)

JimH

Ok, I asked him if it was painted or not, and here's verbatim the answer I just got:

"nick on handle. no cracks. not painted. like i said out of town thanks joey"

So who knows....kind of expensive to take a chance on.  He probably got the picture off the internet and lives in Kenya or something.  Weirder things have happened!
Jim H.

Dennis Markham

As of yet I have not received an answer from the seller.

HobieSport

Joey's ad said he'd be back after the 30th.  Then he wrote me and said the "28th or 29th".  Bidding ends on the 29th.  Item is supposedly in "Royal Oak, United States", which I assume means Royal Oak, Michigan.  Anyone in the group near there?  Ask Joey if he has a friend who can let you see the phone if Joey can't be back before bidding ends?  This is going to be a long thread. ;D

Dennis Markham

My fellow phone collector had this to say when I asked him about painting 302's this color blue:

I'm a little suspicious but, they were painted Pre 1940. I have one in a disassembled state that may or may not be legit. I have never gotten a straight answer out of anybody. It has a 1939 base and metal housing of the day(missing the tube for a turn key ala 305 & 410 models) , but it has a grooved handset. I was told many former Bell employee's made fakes during the 1970's & early 1980's, but I'm not positive on this one. I would need to do a hands on inspection.

So I guess someone is going to have to buy it to find out if it's real or not.

Dennis Markham

I'm very near Royal Oak but I'm leaving the State in the morning and won't be back until Nov. 02.....

This just in............word from Joey...........

high as far as i know it is not painted. iam out of town. thanks joey

I think the key word here is "high".  :)

McHeath

For a phone that could go for thousands we are not getting much of a look.  Even if Joey is legit, and out of town and replying on his cell phone to our Qs, I would never spend even the kind of money the phone is up to right now without a better examination. 

But then what I'd spend does not matter, the public have already bid it up.

mienaichizu

regarding your queries about the phone, I'm also a bit suspicious about it. at first look it might look like painted, so I'm lowering my bet to $500, if it is authentic, I'll stick to my first bet

bingster

Quote from: mienaichizu on October 24, 2008, 02:34:14 AM...if it is authentic, I'll stick to my first bet
The problem is that we'll never know.  Do you want to stick with $1960, or go with $500?

Do we have any other brave entrants out there?
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

Quote from: bingster on October 24, 2008, 04:51:29 AM
Quote from: mienaichizu on October 24, 2008, 02:34:14 AM...if it is authentic, I'll stick to my first bet
The problem is that we'll never know.  Do you want to stick with $1960, or go with $500?

Do we have any other brave entrants out there?

uhmmm,  I'll stick with $1960

McHeath

Well what to say the final bid will be???  I'm shooting low this time as we don't get good pics, have some debate as to the finish, and the seller is "out of town" until his auction ends.  (Weirdness that last one, if this phone were properly presented it could fetch thousands pretty easy I think)

Put me in for $750

Mark Stevens

Ever watch The Price is Right?  My bid... $1   ;D

HobieSport

Here is yet another possibility.  A new blue 302.
http://www.oldphones.com/servlet/Detail?no=109

McHeath

I am frankly amazed that this phone is up to 710 dollars at the moment.  For one low quality picture, with some possible serious condition problems, and a seller who is unable or unwilling to post more pics and give more info that price astounds me.