News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Chrome-bodied 302

Started by Perry, January 16, 2009, 11:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

Did WE offer the 302 in a chrome-plated body, or is a phone like this a later modification?
http://tinyurl.com/Chrome-302

HobieSport

I don't think they were ever factory chromed but I could be wrong there.  Anyone?

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/302-chrome.html

Perry

The dial card would seem to imply that the phone was sold (and refinished?) by "20th Century Classic Telephones." The same seller has a chrome-bodied Kellogg Redbar phone, with a sticker on the bottom from hollywoodphones.com. (I checked, and it looks like their website is defunct.)

bingster

I've never seen chrome or gold listed in the BSPs, and have never seen mention of them in any old source.  These are just black-painted zinc cases that have been stripped and plated.   

The only silver and gold metal phones that I know of (besides nickel and brass candlesticks) are the "Imperial"  (gold) and the "Silver Continental."
= DARRIN =

BDM

Well, that's never been satisfactorily answered either way. Apparently W.E. did make a few special chrome plated 30s for CEO use (whatever that means). Several books do list them, and several other sources deny they ever existed. Who knows??

Now, like anyone I hate modified phones that never truly existed. Regardless of the "chrome 302" and it's history, that is one phone I truly like and wouldn't mind owning.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

I think they're great looking, too.  There's another seller who regularly sells chrome and gold plated versions, both with black handsets, but I can't help thinking the gold would look killer with an ivory handset, instead.
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

those are nice but i would still prefer black ones

BDM

Personally, I tend to believe they did exist. Several prominent collectors have stated so in the past (I hate dropping names). I remember about 12 years ago one collector who worked for Ma Bell for more than 30 years, made the statement they were very real on the list server. Given the times, especially the 40s and early 50s. I just don't doubt it. Many radio cabinets had chrome trim in that era (fake or otherwise). At the time chrome was in vogue and represented style & wealth (fake or otherwise......lol).
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI