News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

IL Bell Vintage pictures

Started by MagicMo, July 02, 2013, 06:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

I found some really cool IL Bell pics. These are from the first time they used the microwave tower  in 1958. It was at Our Lady of Angels Fire. Also a few tests on the microwave sites.
Check them out,
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

here is more

MagicMo

Another one

baldopeacock

Thanks for sharing these, Mo.   I did live microwave shots for television for a long time.   Some of the equipment I see in these pics was still around at one station I've worked for.   Those wooden tripods with the antennas on top of the truck in one pic were tough as nails.

MagicMo

Quote from: baldopeacock on July 02, 2013, 07:26:02 PM
Thanks for sharing these, Mo.   I did live microwave shots for television for a long time.   Some of the equipment I see in these pics was still around at one station I've worked for.   Those wooden tripods with the antennas on top of the truck in one pic were tough as nails.

Really? Cool.
I have lots more pics. I wish I could share them all!
Mo

twocvbloke

Interesting to see old microwave transceivers when they were still "new", as that is basically what evolved into the satellite communications we use today, in various forms, such as satellite phones, television, data (inc. Internet access), international communications and suchlike, aswell as continuing to run ground-based microwave links (the Post Office (now BT) Tower being a good example as that is plastered with microwave transceiver dishes) for all kinds of purposes... :)

Babybearjs

WOW! look at the old telephone truck! totally vintage!
John