News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT 501A Key Service Unit , Is Anyone Familiar with this 1A2 System?

Started by dpaynter1066, December 13, 2011, 06:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpaynter1066

OK, why not throw prudence into the winds and start a 1A2 system just before christmas?

Iv'e just gotten an ITT 501A Key Service Unit  off that auction site.
Item number: 190612768119 .  I have a copy of the ITT PRACTICE KSP501-00A manual off the net too.

It has 3 - K400E line cards, KC 19 Rotary and tone intercom unit, powersupply and a cable stub with the amph connector.

I also have 1  ITT 2564 touch tone dial 5 button telephone 1A2 phone.

Questions: Do I have what I need to use a TT phone with this or do I need rotary phones, which seem harder to find.  

Intercom uses buzzer? are those in the phones normally? what do i need for this besides cables and phones?

I'd like to use my landline and two voip magic jacks if TT would work or suchlike, would that work or what would work better? (cheaper is always better)  

Are 1A2 linecards generic and interchangeable or do I need ITT cards only?

If anyone knows what I need, im interested in purchasing it, but pricy stuff has to wait till after new years.   Thanks!

rdelius

Most 1A2 or AE10A2 cards and other parts will interchange .Rotary and tone keysets will interchange but the intercom might work on both.You might have to trace the buzzers and or the common audible ringing to see what voltage will be there.
Robby

Phonesrfun

Hopefully the "rotary and tone" intercom unit will support tone intercom.  The only use of internal dialing is for the intercom anyway.

I have found that the ringing current from a magic jack will trigger the ringing sensor in a key system, but given the weak and anemic output from the MJ ring generator, results may vary.  Providing it does, you should be good to go.

Most of the buzzers are little cylindrical things about an inch wide and a half inch high and are usually mounted inside the phone to one of the dial supports or on the frame of the ringer.  They are usually used to denote intercom signalling and the ringer is used to denote an outside line call.

Buzzers can be either 10-volt AC or they can be designed for ringing current, and the two are not interchangeable.

The 10 volt buzzers run off the 10 volt AC lamp supply from the 1A2 power supply.

There are some others on this forum that know a lot more about key systems than I do.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

I am not familiar with that ITT unit but we had AE 10A2 units just like that. We called them "Port A Packs" or "6 Packs". All 1A2 / 10A2 stuff is pretty interchangeable. I would say that any line cards would work, the Intercom will handle Rotary or Tone dialing. Early intercoms similar to that were either rotary OR tone but later ones did both and that one says both right on it. All AE systems that I worked on used 10 VAC common audible buzzer for CO lines and another one for the intercom. But some 1A2 systems were set up for 90VAC ringing via a real bell so you will have to see what this one is set up for. The power supply has 90VAC ringing in it which some don't have.

Terry

G-Man

Quote from: dpaynter1066 on December 13, 2011, 06:00:19 PM
OK, why not throw prudence into the winds and start a 1A2 system just before christmas?

Iv'e just gotten an ITT 501A Key Service Unit  off that auction site.
Item number: 190612768119 .  I have a copy of the ITT PRACTICE KSP501-00A manual off the net too.

It has 3 - K400E line cards, KC 19 Rotary and tone intercom unit, powersupply and a cable stub with the amph connector.

I also have 1  ITT 2564 touch tone dial 5 button telephone 1A2 phone.

Questions: Do I have what I need to use a TT phone with this or do I need rotary phones, which seem harder to find. 

Intercom uses buzzer? are those in the phones normally? what do i need for this besides cables and phones?

I'd like to use my landline and two voip magic jacks if TT would work or suchlike, would that work or what would work better? (cheaper is always better) 

Are 1A2 linecards generic and interchangeable or do I need ITT cards only?

If anyone knows what I need, im interested in purchasing it, but pricy stuff has to wait till after new years.   Thanks!
A nicely equipped 1A2 KSU!
As stated on the Melco KC19 intercom, you may use rotary or tone telephones.
As far as signaling is concerned, you may use buzzers or ringers for intercom or incoming calls from the pstn. Your manual shows how to wire for both. If you have weak ringing current from voip or mj, the common audible option will work great since it will trigger the KSU's ringing supply to signal your telephones.

Wallphone

There is some good info about key systems and just about anything else here.
< http://www.kadiak.org/tel/ >
Doug Pav