"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric 500 (1968) wiring

Started by kwekusemi, October 13, 2011, 09:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwekusemi

Hello All,

I'm trying to refurbish a Model 500 and one of the wires (black) has come loose (photo attached).

Can anyone tell me where it is supposed to go?

I've managed to take apart and reassemble the dial mechanism and it now works great  :)

Thanks,

- Jeffrey

AE_Collector

Looks as though it is a black lead out of the phone cord. If so, it is a spare lead and not required. Tape it up rather than cutting it off.

If you are pretty sure that it was screwed down it was likely with the yellow lead that is also spare. But it is better to keep it seperate from the yellow but insulated from everything else.

And welcome to the Classic Rotary Forum.

Terry

kwekusemi

Thanks Terry. The lead was already disconnected and it does not show any sign of having been previously screwed down. I will therefore tape it up as you suggested.

I would like to order a pulse to tone converter and give it a try. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

- Jeffrey

AE_Collector

I have no experience with them but others have so you should get some info here soon. If you are going to be bit by the phone collecting bug you will soon get advise to grab a used panasonic PBX on ebay and connect a bunch of phones to it becasue it will do the converting for you as well as allow you to hook up many phones and place calls between them.

Terry