News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WANTED: cheap telephone line simulator

Started by timmerk, January 23, 2017, 09:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmerk

Looking for a cheap used or new telephone line simulator/emulator. The new Viking units on eBay are over $100 - out of my price range as a student. If anyone has an old one they aren't using anymore, please let me know the model and price. Thanks!

AL_as_needed

Do you need something that generates a ring cycle?

Just a suggestion;

I have and xlink bluetooth converter (less than or about 50$) for my phones. When I test that allows me to test for tone/dial out and check for the dial accuracy on my cell as it calls. For ringback I just call myself on google voice (free).
TWinbrook7

timmerk

I think I need the ring cycle, as I want to connect two modems together (to program an Elcotel 5501 payphone.)

AL_as_needed

Ah ok, keep your eye on ebay for used units too. Also check Craigslist or other sites, might get lucky. The deals are out there if your willing to wait.  :D
TWinbrook7

timmerk

oldguy

A BK PRECISION model: 1045A might work for you. There are 3 on eBay now. I like mine.
Gary

dsk

timmerk

Thanks for your replies. I will try the VoIP route that dsk mentioned first, and if that doesn't work with modems, then I might try one of those BK Precision units that Gary mentioned.

twocvbloke

I've actually tried the VoIP intercom setup as a way to connect two older computers via 56k modems, and due to it digitising the audio, the speeds were around 28 to 36kbps, it works, but it's slower than it could be than when connected through something like a Panasonic KX-T308 or T616 phone system (all analogue so no digital losses)... :)

andy1702

Actually a Panasonic PBX may be the way to go for cheapness. I picked one up for £20 and another for £10. The £20 one came with a full set of Panasonic phones with it as well!
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Victor Laszlo

$100 ***IS*** cheap, when you look at the current market.  I think there's a Viking 200 on Ebay right now for around $50. As suggested, get an old KSU either for a few bucks, or possibly from a generous member of the forum.

Can you get a modem to ring-up if you manually apply generator to its input T & R while providing talk battery?