News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AECo Bakelite Era Phones - Base Codes & Patent Numbers Survey

Started by AE_Collector, October 02, 2011, 09:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Here's a survey sheet from a model 50, no dial.  Appears to be all original.
Dave

wds

Picked up another AE 40.  Appears to be older version, grooved bakelite handset rings, old style ringer.   No terminals #4 & #5, and also has bakelite plungers, not the brass or chrome.  Attached is another survey form.
Dave

wds

Here's a picture of the phone - bakelite plungers.  This is my first AE with bakelite plungers - are these common?  The plunger blocks are not magnetic, but I can't tell if they are brass or some kind of cast pot metal.  The silver metal under the black paint is not smooth, and not nickel plated.  Grooved bakelite handset rings.  Does not have the terminals by the switch hook - #4 & #5.  Dial mounts on the metal bracket.  Nice old phone - needs a good cleaning.
Dave

Mr. Bones

Quote from: wds on December 22, 2013, 07:58:40 PM
This is my first AE with bakelite plungers - are these common?
I only have one AE40, and it has the Bakelite plungers. Mine has no grooving on the handset rings, a butler's handle, and a numeric (rural) dial plate.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

Thanks for the new survey form Dave.

Black bakelite plungers seem to be fairly common though I think the chromed ones are the most common even on otherwise non chromed up phones. The plunger blocks are pot metal. Even the chromed ones are as well. Sometimes they can be very pitted.

I like those grooved caps, they are fairly rare.....except around your house!

Terry

wds

AE 40 Phillips Electrical Works Limited.  Notice the extra lip on the shell to accommodate the GPO dial.  Survey form attached.
Dave

wds

few more pics
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave....I think that is just the bottom of the GPO dial and not a lip on the AE 40....Doug
Kidphone

wds

You're right!  First time I've seen the GPO dial with the adapter ring.  That's only the first time this year I've been wrong!
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave...only reason I knew was I am getting two ready for eBay this Sunday and I have the pics. The North dial that I put on the SC had an adapter ring as well....Really nice phone...Doug
Kidphone

wds

You caught me - I polished the phone without removing the dial.  Nice addition to the collection of AE 40's.  I have about a half dozen now, all different in some way.  I still think the AE 40 is one of the best looking of the older bakelite phones.
Dave

AE_Collector

It is still my favorite model from that era. I think they got the lines just right but messed up on the material (Bakelite) for its case in that it is too fragile for something that was in all other aspects, "built to last forever".

Terry

wds

Here's another survey sheet for an AE 50 I bought.  Nothing special about this one.
Dave

AE_Collector

Thanks Dave. One day I hope to be able to draw some conclusions about the coding on AE's from all of this input.

Terry