News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a Rose Beige?

Started by Dan, October 22, 2009, 08:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

http://tinyurl.com/yjo2ra5 ( dead link 08-04-21 )

I was watching this, it appears to be a soft rose beige with a later "light beige" dial added (maybe a WE refurb). Anyway, someone got a good deal here. I wonder how rare it would be to find a rose beige dial.......

(the white letters on the beige dial)

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

That's a tough one.  In the one picture of the side of the phone, where it looks like a sticker was protecting the plastic, it looks like Light Beige.  But the rest of it does look like Rose Beige.  The dial bezel was changed as it appears to be a #9 dial (thin opening for the finger stop).  It's going to need some work.

Phonesrfun

The color looks a lot like my AE80.  Right down to the lighter colored dial bezel.

-Bill G

Jester

I'm gambling that it's dark beige, since I just won it.  I liked the handset cord on this one--the one on my phone is covered with little tiny bite marks.  From a kitten, I suspect.  And, if the plastics are better than mine, that would be another bonus.  As for the dial, I think a black 7D-3 with a painted metal fingerwheel would look better than the 9C that's on it.  Is it Jonanthan that has one like that?
Stephen

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

Let us know Jester, and a few pics "under the hood" would be nice. Good score. Looks like a grey cord with it too.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

I agree, pics would be nice on arrival. It's definitely dark beige (rose beige) with a light beige replaced dial.

The coil cord is a matching dark beige cord and looks to be in good shape. In this color, by 12-56 the cords were no longer dark gray. The switch in cord colors to matching cords came about sometime around spring, 1956 for all but moss green and dark blue. A black dial would not be what this phone came with. It had a matching dark beige 7C-55 dial. And Jester, I don't have anything like that with a black dial, that I know of. If I ever did, I took the dial off.

Color phones with black dials and gray cords date from 1953 to early 1955 and came in red, yellow, dark blue and dark gray. These are not two-tones. I call them "black dial models."  See the pic next to JorgeAmely's name for an example of a dark gray black dial model. Dark beige came with a dark beige dial face from the outset.

Every now and then we see phones like this because the service guys didn't have dark beige parts after that color was discontinued, so they used the closest thing they had when the dial went bad. It looks like it could be a nice phone with just a replaced dial and mounting cord.
Jonathan

Jester

Jonathan,

My reference was to the picture you posted here. 

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1316.0

I realize this color wasn't issued with black dials, but I still prefer the way a black replacement looks on one as opposed to this light beige dial.  And that's an interesting point you bring up regarding replacement parts.  If you'll recall my last dark beige 500, the dial was a 7C-3 from 6/59, but the beige bezel & open center fingerwheel & retainer were on it.  I guess the service tech. took the extra time to switch the parts, but that wouldn't have been hard, seeing how both dials were identical mechanically.  Putting a bezel from a 7C on a 9C would have been a practice in crude butchery.
Stephen

Dan

Jsowers, nice info about the black dial models. I have never heard about this vartiation until now.

jsowers

Quote from: Jester on October 23, 2009, 01:34:22 PM
My reference was to the picture you posted here. 

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1316.0

Oh! Now I know what you were referring to. Thanks, Jester, for clearing that up. I have a dark beige two-tone and that's what you saw, posted among those number cards. It wasn't an official combination and more than the dial is black, but you can't see that from the picture. The handset and both cords are also black, as with all two-tones. Like a black phone with a replaced housing.

That's the way it came to me, and according to the seller, it was as found in a basement in Schenectady. Dennis has a red two-tone from the same city with a very similar number card. It's possible someone switched housings sometime along the way--or maybe they did it to suit the customer--we'll never know. This phone's housing was really faded, to the point that it looked like butterscotch pudding. Bleaching brought the housing back to close to normal. It does sort of look good together. Like a black and tan hound. So I see your point.

I posted two pictures below, for those who don't remember that picture (like me, until just now). The first is the phone before bleaching. It's funny that my Buick wagon's interior is actually close to dark beige, so I used that as the background. The other shot is after bleaching and you can still see the unfaded part on top that's the correct color. Black and dark beige do look good, I have to admit.
Jonathan

Jester

Jonathan,

I was out of town when this thread was current & missed your last posting.  I didn't realize yours had the black handset & cords along with the dial--that does look nice together.  I just posted some more current shots of this auction win under "Finding Roses..." on the Collectors page of this forum.
Stephen