"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg swirl on EBAY

Started by Pourme, March 22, 2019, 04:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

Why aren't collectors fighting over this one? third party?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unusual-ITT-KELLOGG-green-Swirl-Colored-Body-Rotary-Dial-Telephone-Set/163602192821
( dead link 06-16-21 )
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Western Bell

Maybe because it's a painted swirl?

HarrySmith

It does not look painted to me. He is a regular phone seller, has a few listed. We will see where it ends.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Western Bell

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 22, 2019, 07:11:33 AM
It does not look painted to me. He is a regular phone seller, has a few listed. We will see where it ends.

Well, maybe laminated or something. The straight line interruptions of swirls just does not look like a naturally "poured" swirl plastic, a process that produces a random but continuous flow of different colors.

Maybe the swirl collectors can add their opinions about this housing.

kleenax

As for those defined "lines" between swirls:

I have NO idea how it does it, but the molten plastic does it on it's own!  Here's one that I cast myself, and this is what happened; Look closely just below the handset cord hole:
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

HarrySmith

Agreed. The few swirled phones I have seen all have those "lines" in them. This is the first Kellogg swirlee I have seen. I am guessing it will go fairly high. Watch it at the end!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Butch Harlow

Its definitely strange but beautiful. Also, notice somebody ground into the bottom of the shell all along one side. The color and swirl goes all the way through. The underside photo shows plenty of proof of the same.
Butch Harlow

Good match for this handset, but wrong company.

Doug Rose

even the transmitter cup is swirled!   :o
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 24, 2019, 07:56:30 AM
even the transmitter cup is swirled!   :o

If you look closely Doug, so is the receiver! :)

Key2871

Personally, I think it looks good either way. I'd love to own a swirled set just to look at and enjoy the colors.
I have run across a lot of swirled transmitter cups, connector blocks, even a network with a swirled plastic top.
But never a complete phone.
KEN

Pourme

~

Could this be the "entree level"  swirled phone?
Benny

kleenax

It's generally accepted that these Swirled phones are made/caused when changing colors in the molds, but with some experimentation (and a LOT of time), you can do some pretty cool things when you control the colors. Don't you think this looks just like MARBLE?  I even had a women at an antique show just HOW did I carve a phone out of Marble?
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Quote from: kleenax on March 24, 2019, 09:58:44 AM
It's generally accepted that these Swirled phones are made/caused when changing colors in the molds, but with some experimentation (and a LOT of time), you can do some pretty cool things when you control the colors. Don't you think this looks just like MARBLE?  I even had a women at an antique show just HOW did I carve a phone out of Marble?

Very nice piece Ray.

Pourme

It does indeed look like marble....cool
Benny