News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tiny tools!

Started by AL_as_needed, February 22, 2017, 08:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

Saw these today in a co-workers tool bag and couldnt help playing with them. Watch and dial mech repairs just got a bit more channel lock-y.
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

I have several pair of small "pump" pliers. I go thru phases of carrying them around. They are a very worthwhile tool to have in your pocket or pouch.

My dad was a mechanic, he always carried a small pair of "water-pump" pliers (channel-locks). He had swapped them around , I think he had 3 pair, He carried  pliers and a pocket knife for as long as I can remember, until the end.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

I have 2 in my telephone tools box. There are 2 or 3 larger ones in my car tool box.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

I didn't know they made them that small!

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Jim S. on February 22, 2017, 09:19:06 PM
My dad was a mechanic, he always carried a small pair of "water-pump" pliers (channel-locks). He had swapped them around , I think he had 3 pair, He carried  pliers and a pocket knife for as long as I can remember, until the end.

My grandfather, and myself more recently, have always carried a knife and one of those pen-sized screw driver sets (the ones with the inter-changeable ends). Never know what needs fixing! Would be interesting to hear what we all on CRPF carry day to day.
TWinbrook7

19and41

That little fellow looks like my coconut cracker when it was a baby!  ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Dave F

Not normally used for telephones (except maybe in extreme situations!), but still a cool "tiny tool", here is one of my favorites:  Ridgid 6" pipe wrench.

I'll throw in my mini Vise-Grips. These tiny pliers come in handy when clapping in tight places is needed.

Pourme

I want "tiny tools"....

You all cost me so much money!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

19and41

This little guy was my "play" tool when I was about 5 or 6.  I hung onto it through grade school, high school, the Army and the nearly 40 years since.

— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

I used to carry a 3"  Craftsman (crescent) Adjustable end wrench for many years.
When it comes down to it:
Tiny channel locks are handier than tiny crescent wrenches, However, any tiny tool is handier than you would expect.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

19and41

Those little channel locks must be ideal for type "F" connestors.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

It is funny, I never tried them on "f" connectors,  I had a small combination wrench for those. I agree that small channel locks would work great on them.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

19and41

I used to work with cable RF distribution systems and there were a lot of close quarters connector groups on a lot of that old stuff.  Fortunately now for us it's all fiber optic based.  When I started we had a massive network supporting less than 1000 cameras.  Now it is over 3500.  With nothing going on it's "big brother",  when someone is aiming to conk you out for your poke, there are not enough.   :D
— Arthur C. Clarke

Whitcrane76

How about antique tiny tools? The little ones not a telephone tool, but the Bell System did have monkey wrenches.