News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 4a speaker

Started by Vacuumlad1650, October 14, 2018, 09:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vacuumlad1650

A little over a month ago, we lost my Grandfather. He worked for Illinois Bell for 40 years.

While Going through his things I came across this 4a speaker. A telephone friend off forum offered advice on how to connect it, but it doesn't seem to work. Perhaps I've done something wrong?
Black/yellow are on a 2012 type power converter (like the ones for a princess) and red/green are hooked to the handset receiver terminals (white and white). I dont remember the terminals on the network. This project has been back burnered for some time while I am taking extra hours at work.

Experts...any advice? I want to use it on my 564 business telephone.
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

Key2871

I don't remember what transformer, but the one you're using is too low a voltage to power it.
You need the next one up is the 20 series, but it's the 20-24 or 28 volt type. 2012D I think..
KEN

poplar1

It looks like a 107A or 107B speaker. Not part of a 4A Speakerphone.
Transformer is same size as a Princess transformer, but should be a 2012B or 2012D which are 18 Volts AC (Princess takes 2012A or C = 6-8 VAC)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Vacuumlad1650

So from the sound of it, I just need to up the power input to 18 VAC? I'll be in search of a 2012B or 2012D.
Thanks
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

Vacuumlad1650

I came across a 2012B power transformer on eBay and brought it. Connected, but still no function, or even sound from the speaker. Any ideas?
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

Key2871

Is the cord good? It doesn't have any opens (broken wires)
Does the transformer put the proper voltage out?
If you have a VOM (VOLT OHM METER) Take voltage readings on the transformer, to see if the unit is putting the proper Voltage out. Using the ohm/ continuity selection as continuity test, check each end of the wires to see if you get a reading or sound, like a beep. To make sure there is good connection on the wires.
KEN