"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 transmitter issues

Started by AT2796, November 18, 2018, 05:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AT2796

Hi All
I am pretty sure I've got this one licked, but it can't hurt to run it by you guys. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong!

This is my WE 302 mostly 49 (pics in a separate reply below).
It has had transmitter issues since I got it. First I replaced the transmitter, no luck. Since then I have read a lot more here on the forum and think I have answered my own question.

My problem is the handset cord. With the handset open, all contacts read open on the ohm meter.
The cord on the other hand; White reads open, Red reads 8 ohms, Black reads 20 ohms. Shouldn't these read as a dead short, 0 ohms with this short a length of wire?

Interesting note, the strain relief reads 57 (meaning 1957 right?) and the "rubber" insulation is very brittle and falling apart. From experience, I know from personal experience about a certain outside plant PIC cable (BHAA or any cable with BH--) from the late fifties to the late sixties that has terrible insulation (I can't remember what kind of insulation the "H" denotes, but when you find your trouble in that cable, you might as well bypass it since Engineering likely will not replace it). I have seen this insulation fail in all environments to include a brand new sheath opening, it just starts to flake off, similar to the rubber on this handset cord.
I am wondering if they are related....

I have already ordered a new handset cord from Oldphoneworks on Ebay, so if you guys tell me my diagnosis is likely accurate I will post up when I get it installed.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Andy
Andy

AT2796

Photos
Andy

AT2796

Few more pics
Andy

HarrySmith

Looks like that cord needed replacement anyway. Most likely it is the cause your issue.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: AT2796 on November 18, 2018, 05:58:00 PM

My problem is the handset cord. With the handset open, all contacts read open on the ohm meter.
The cord on the other hand; White reads open, Red reads 8 ohms, Black reads 20 ohms. Shouldn't these read as a dead short, 0 ohms with this short a length of wire?

Interesting note, the strain relief reads 57 (meaning 1957 right?) and the "rubber" insulation is very brittle and falling apart.

If it is an H3AF cord (marked on strain relief), then 99% of those are bad, though usually just noisy (static) when the cord is moved. The vinyl (PVC) cords from 1958 on are much better.

Quote from: AT2796 on November 18, 2018, 05:58:00 PM
From experience, I know from personal experience about a certain outside plant PIC cable (BHAA or any cable with BH--) from the late fifties to the late sixties that has terrible insulation (I can't remember what kind of insulation the "H" denotes, but when you find your trouble in that cable, you might as well bypass it since Engineering likely will not replace it). I have seen this insulation fail in all environments to include a brand new sheath opening, it just starts to flake off, similar to the rubber on this handset cord.
I am wondering if they are related....

According to this table, the H as second letter indicates Solid Polyethelene as the type of insulation over each conductor:
Addendum G50.010.1 (?), Issue A, 4-1-58, SWBTCo.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AT2796

Good news!
Finally got the cloth covered cords, installed them and Whammo! The old set works like new.
Again, if I hadn't been reading info on this forum for the past several months, I may not have ever solved this problem...well maybe eventually, but it would have been a conversation piece for quite a while. 

poplar1,
I found a more detailed doc at work that denoted a certain type of polyethylene, if you (or anybody else) is interested, I will look it back up and see if I can provide BSP # or other technical reference. By coincidence! I have another section of BHAS cable that I need to try to get engineering to replace.
Andy

poplar1

Just noticed that the black and white wires are reversed in this photo:

AT2796

Just opened it again to check my work. New cord is connected opposite of that pic. That (new way) is correct right?
Andy

poplar1

Quote from: AT2796 on December 07, 2018, 10:06:17 PM
Just opened it again to check my work. New cord is connected opposite of that pic. That (new way) is correct right?

Yes, if you reversed black and white. Here is a later F1 handset which has 2 insulated wires for the receiver. It makes it easier to match the handset cord conductors to the correct terminals. Your handset is older and has the wires embedded in the Bakelite handle.